• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cel 1700+P4S533…is it ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modeerf

Registered
The time to “cook” a nice “low-end”* system for my girlfriend has come. So I am thinking of a Celeron 1700 (cheap enough), ASUS P4S533(great+cheap+easy to upgrate to P4s later since Cel 1700 is 478 socket and it has on board sound too), a 266 or 333DDR probably no-name stick of RAM,a WD 400BB hard disk and a simple pc case. Fortunately, I ve got all the other parts (cd rom, video card, keyboard, mouse, monitor and so forth) so it wont cost her an arm and a leg…

This pc will run only office apps like Word, Excel etc.

The question is, will P4S533 recognize the Celeron without flashing the bios with some new one? What sort of probs should I expect?

Gimme your opinions, mates!!!

*NOTE: low-end my A*S!!! I used to have a P3 1Ghz, ASUS CUCL2 and 512MB memory until 2 months ago and it was just GREAT!!!

"nope, i don't think that'll work.

P4s only."

I haven't tried a 1.7, so I don't know for sure, but I'm inclined to disagree. It should work fine.

Worst case scenario, you might need to user your 1.8A to update the bios before the board recognizes the Celeron. It's far more likely that it will work right from the start.

Just for the info: My Celeron 1.3A at stock speed (1300 MHz) is just as fast as Celeron 1700 according to Sandra and PCmark. Plus it has twice the L2 cache. @ 1742 MHz, my celeron beats C1700 by 25%.
If you're looking for a low end, why not buy a tualatin celeron? The mobos are cheaper, the ram is cheaper....

Silver arrow said:
Just for the info: My Celeron 1.3A at stock speed (1300 MHz) is just as fast as Celeron 1700 according to Sandra and PCmark. Plus it has twice the L2 cache. @ 1742 MHz, my celeron beats C1700 by 25%.
If you're looking for a low end, why not buy a tualatin celeron? The mobos are cheaper, the ram is cheaper....

Because it will be easier and cheaper to upgrade to real P4 platform...all i will have to do is to change the cpu...if i stick with an old socket Celeron i will have to change EVERYTHING!!!;)

Thanks for the infos, mates!!! :beer:

it is a socket 478

well, i checked and the c1700 is a socket 478 processor. i don't know that flashing the bios as i believed was mentioned earlier would be an issue since when this board hit the streets there were P4s at that speed and faster. multiplier of 17 and fsb of 100 were already bios supported.

the fact that the asus website and manuals make no mention of supporting the celerons would concern me. the fact that the sis645dx chipset information on Sis's site doesn't claim celeron support would concern me as well.

good luck if you decide to try it.

-BdK

Back