• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDram or DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corsvall

Hey im going to buy a p4 2.4 or more and wounder what memory i should by. RDRAM or DDR ram if i want to overclock and so. Also wounder what motherboard you recommend.

//Oscar

Oscar

What do you intend to do with your computer and how much money do you have to spend? How long do you intend to keep you new computer before upgrading?

Im going to have it moast for playing games like ut2k3 and so. But also do som 3d studio and so. And i can spend around 1200 USD on chase memory cpu motherbord and geforce card.
Im think im going to buy a geforce ti4200. and want 512mb ram.

Its not normally important, but Mavrick dropped what is probably the most important question:

How long before you plan on upgrading again?

Its important this time because Intel is dropping Rambus from the chipset it uses in desktop systems. Starting with the next generation of motherboards (projected to ship next spring) Intel will only use RDRAM for server chipsets.

SiS has announced a desktop RDRAM mobo, but if it will be put into production-and when-is less than certain. With the information available right now, the next mobo you buy after this one will force you back to DDR if you like it or not.

Which, FWIW, isn't going to be a bad deal. The next generation memory platform for the P4/5 and Athlon/Hammer is Dual DDR. This will pair DDR modules, like the first generation RAMBUS, and give RAMBUS-esque memory bandwidth. The cool part is, if you buy fast, high-quality memory today, you should be able to carry it onto the new setup. (Provided you have two matching sticks.)

Out of the box, RDRAM1066 is the fastest memory you can buy for a P4. But many people are tweaking PC3200 DDR to 1066 levels if you need that performance, and it'll have a longer effective life.

That makes it a no-brainer for me, but if you are going to button up your system and not upgrade the mobo or memory for a few years, then its a draw.

BHD

But I can tweak my 1066 up to 1200 level :)

If you want the best RAM you can get now go with RDRAM. Want good RAM, at a cheaper price, get DDR.

Back