• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good Mobo for a first time PC Builder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMS

Jetway S447 Pentium 4 socket 478 atx sis chipset, mainboard,6 x pci,1 x agp4x,3 x DDR mem slots,onboard sound,2 x USB ports,2 x Ps/2 ports,2 x Serial ports,1 x Para port. Includes cables manual leads drivers.One year return to base warranty

Just would like to know dose anyone know about these boards.
I am not realy looking for a overclockable board for the PC I am going to build. If all goes to plan then I will build me a overclockable rig when I can afford it

Welcome to our forums! :) :)

To help answer your question, I'll just start by saying that Jetway isn't a name you hear very often. Now, I'm not here to cut them down, but when I think of a good solid board, whether OC friendly or not, Jetway doesn't exactly pop into mind. I'm alway curious to hear how they run for people, but to be honest, I don't have the money to take a chance on getting a crummy board...

Regardless of what you plan to do in the future, you still want a decent board. The fact that you don't necessarily need OC'ing features just makes finding one a bit easier for you :)

That means you can keep an eye on chipset, brand, and price. Only three factors!

The SiS chipsets get decent reviews, and are generally cheaper than the intel equivalents. However, it is entirely possible to find good priced intel chipset boards. I'd look at both. The SiS645 and the Intel 845's are good.

Ofcourse, I'm dealing with all AMD stuff in my house, so my knowledge of P4 chipsets is somewhat stunted...if I'm wrong, please someone feel free to correct me :)

In general, if you are looking for a good board at a good price, ECS would be high on my list. They tend to be very good pricewise, as well as performance wise, although typically they do not offer much in the way of overclocking features...but, that shouldn't be a problem!

I would also look at boards from Gigabyte and MSI. Boards such as ASUS, Abit, and Epox are also great brands, but tend to be a bit more pricey.

ECS most likely would be a great bet, and they are easy boards to setup incase you are a nooB :)

I'd recommend looking at the boards at www.newegg.com. You can compare price and features there, plus they are a very reliable reseller. And ofcourse, our Vendor Discussion and Cyber Deals threads are great for finding good resellers and hot deals...

Hope this helps some! While I don't have any grudges agains Jetway, I tend to not think much of them when I think of a new board...

Mike

JDMS said:
Jetway S447 Pentium 4 socket 478 atx sis chipset...

I don't know anything about Jetway. My recommendation is to get an affordable board that you KNOW can be overclocked. That way, when you decide to overclock your system, you don't have to buy a new board.

If it matters, I can recommend the board I use. It's an Asus P4B266C, which is relatively inexpensive (~$100) compared to some boards out there. It's not necessarily the newest board, but it is TOTALLY stable with my FSB overclocked 40% (1.6GHz to 2.24GHz).

BTW, even with my P4 1.6A at 140FSB, the standard Intel heat sink & fan never step beyond 22 degrees Celcius above ambient (this is running CPUBurn & RunPrio on high). What this means is that my 140FSB does not require a super-cooling solution. Depending on the chip you get and/or how you will use the system, you could start overclocking the moment you get your new system without any special fans, heatsinks, or other cooling solutions.

How will you use the system? What P4 do you intend on getting?

Back