• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.53/P4B533 owners?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
This past weekend, I tried 3 different boards, each a better OCer than the previous, BUT I am still not sold on the last one either.

GA-8IEXP, no DDR mutipliers at all, so it went back right away :)

P4S533 just plain had funky readings in PCMark2002 and IDE issues. Maybe a bad board from the beginning. For example, my CPU showed up as something completely Greek and my "Level 4" CPU Cache (no 1 or 2) was displayed as 3.28 Terabytes :D WooHoo! Now that's some *****! I tried various BIOS updates and none solved the problem. I did dabble with it anyway and it got me to the 2907 mark @ 1.65Vcore where the Gigabyte puttered out around 2717 at the same Vcore.

Last (but not least), I got a P4S 645DX Dragon Ultra. With a 1.675Vcore, it was able to crack the 3.0GHz mark stable. Nice, BUT it has some weird a$$ mem multipler and it will run either 320DDR or like 424DDR (which it won't do even with 2.9Vmem and slow settings). Additionally, the AGP bus is actually UC'd to 63 or 64MHz at that speed. I could bump the Vcore some more and maybe the Vmem, but my problem is that the H/W monitoring sucks. According to MBM, the Soyo HW monitor, and SpeedFan406, my CPU temp drops under benching! It's read as little as 19C in a 27C room, which is obviously impossible on air cooling. Obviously, I don't want to push it without really knowing how hot the CPU is getting. Maybe I could go 166FSB and get back to 66 AGP and DDR400, but flakey temp monitoring has me nervous.

So, now I have to wonder, if I wouldn't be better off with a fixed 33/66 lock, some decent DDR multipliers, etc. on another 845E board. The P4B533-E seems great, unfortunately no one has one locally.

So, who is running a 2.53/PC3200 on a P4B533 or 533-E and how is it working out? I see a lot of people running the 400FSB procs and a few 2.26s, but not many (or any) 2.53s. Can you shed some light on what OC functions are actually in the BIOS for 533 bus speeds, particularly DDR multipliers :)

I haven't run a 533 FSB cpu yet but, the Abit boards are supposed to handle them.

Look into the IT7 or IT7 max2.

steve

I already got a P4B533...been sitting on the table since yesterday morning as I haven't had time to "play" yet, but I'll get it in the box today.

I had an IT7-MAX in my hands for about 45 min while I walked around the store, but non-legacy devices would've meant that I needed a new keyboard, mouse, etc. and that would've made the "mobo" $200+. Couldn't bring myself to do it :rolleyes:

No, they did not have any IT7-MAX2s ;)

Back