• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P4 S8X, with P4 2.53

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

O.K, I took the jump, it's on it's way acaording to Fed-Ex, is there anything I can do to make this board better??
I wil be adding my current memory,1538mg and GeForce 4 ti4600 128mb, 100 IBM hardrive, 40gig Quantum Fireball, and a Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 surround sound card.
If there is anything I need to do , or any suggestions to make this set-up a little better, please clue me in. This place looks like a place I am going to enjoy visiting! :)

mmmm.... must be "pot luck" then.. I have one running an intel 2.8Ghz at 3.2Ghz with no problems at all???

Temps are good.....
Volts are good.. I have Vcore set at 1.6V.
I use PC2700 (DDR333) from Crutial and thats set at 2.7V.

I have been messing around in the BIOS alot to get stable btw, but now it runs sweet.....

Simon.

trying for higher speeds as we speak, will let you know how she performs.

CAn I get a phone number from one of you guys,

that has this board and it runs good. I ordered the board, then I see all this stuff, then the ASUS site, says they are coming out with a new board Oct. &th, Im thinking of returning it un opened, and getttring the new board.... any thoughts. I want the phone number, in case I keep the board, (prob, will not) and if something happens that I cannot handle, I'm new to this stuff, and to old to play with them, as it has my wifes business stuff in it. ........... make sense?
or call me any time after 10:00 a.m, Calif time, 916-448-2827, if you have some help or ideas about this board, and if I should keep it.... here is the link to the new motherboard.....
http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/mbindex.htm:mad:

I almost ordered one until I started seeing things about it, so I ordered a P4B533 mobo instead (no I couldn't wait for the PEs!)...it's a board with history and seems to work well for just about everyone.

The S8X, definitely looks like a great board on paper, combined with the fact that it blew away the top boards on motherboards.org. The previous best overall mobo was the P4B533-E with a "performance" ranking of 9...the newly reviewed S8X obliterated that with a 15. http://www.motherboards.org/rank/Intel/total/motherboard-rank.html

Obviously, they didn't have many or any problems. Of course, they don't O/C to the hilt for their tests either. Maybe it is the luck of the draw, but I wasn't risking it.

O.K., everything is here, just got back from Fry's getting the Volcano fan, and the goop stuff, new? from Thermal Master, and it is called, Shin EtsuThermal compuond, well the pakageing looked good, lol, I have the stuff, and hope that I do not have to reload my windows XP , because I cannot find the disk, pray for me. ............... and this job.....Be back later with an update everyone.
by the way, I got the Volcano 7 if anyone is keeping track of this kind of thing.

Vol 7 or 7+? The Volcano 7 is for socket 370s (P3/Cels). My local Fry's doesn't have squat. That's not true, but they do only have one ASUS mobo and it was for AMD :eh?:

7+

It is a Volcano 7+ , it is for the right ones, in fact it is for two of them, but it did fit right, the wires where a trip to figure out, as only one goes on the cpu fan, then one wire goes to the power side of the fan...... picture here, NOTE, FILE NOT ALLOWED, HAVE TO SHRINK IT DOWN,
so far so good, now to take the stuff out of this computer, and move it to the new board. bE BACK LATER., and if ya need one, , let me know, and I may be able to get you one.

Hehe, no thanks. I've got a Vol 7 from my old Cel 633, upgraded it to a 7+ when they came out (and then used it on my 2.53 too...how handy) and just got my MCX-4000 to replace that with today. If I could find a way to use all 3, the CPU would probably never leave ambient :D

Your pic didn't come through, got a link we can look at?

DID I MISS SOMETHING?

Sure, here is a link for the picture,
http://www.leathersbymaryterry.com/cpufan.jpg
as it says in the picture, I think I have the wires wrong and will go to the swite to check it out, I beleive they are the temp and speed wires....it was wierd that it did not say in the instructions on how to install the wires......or I missed something

SPEAKING of missing something, I did a Sandra test and it says my FSB is at 540, and the cpu is at -1735 help what does this mean??

Last edited:
Assuming your fans are working, they are hooked up right. The 3-pin molex with the single yellow is for the fan tachometer and should be plugged into a fan header on the mobo like you have so the tach can be read by hardware/software. The other molex for the fan with the black/red wire are for the power, which you have connected to your Tt switch, again, which is correct.

There are no temperature wires on the 7+...you have a switch to control fan speed instead of the thermistor that came on the regular Vol 7s (SmartFan).

All P4 CPUs run on "quad-pumped" buses. Depending which P4 you have, stock is either a 400MHz or 533MHz bus. 540/4 = your FSB which is 135MHz. Is that 1735 or "negative" 1735?? :)

What test was it in Sandra? You might want to 1) make you have the correct version for your OS and 2) try reinstalling it. I don't think there is anyway in hell your CPU can do negative work :)

LOL, o.k., I understand what may have happened, I had all the hardware in another motherboard. The hd, memory, etc. This is a new motherboard, and bigger processor, I did not un-installl the other operating system, and that may be it, I cannot locate my Xp cd........ since it is oem, Microsoft willl not give me a new cd.....even thos I have the cd key....That could very well be the problem.

I started building my own PCs because I had the same problem with HP. Then I found out I could get 2x the performance for the same $$ without having to deal their BS.

If you have an OEM PC without restore CDs and that HDD is still in there, you probably have a hidden partition with the original install image. You can probably re-install the OEM crap (sucks because it reloads everything that was originally on the PC including bloatware) and then pop in your mobo CD to get the proper drivers.

You might have a problem with activation. Some installs are pre-activated at the factory and won't need it, but with all new hardware, it could still be a problem. I am sure there are plenty of OCers that could probably give you pointers on it. Search the forum. I personally won't activate my XP until I settle on a setup :) It's just my test rig, so I don't have a problem reinstalling XP once a month...hehe.

Back