• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-8IHXP with 4 rimms full or 2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gogeta_787

Registered
Hi

shortly i will be recieving 2 sticks of samsung pc 1066 rd ram 512mb, i already have 2 sticks of kingston 128mb pc 1066.

My questions:

1.) Will the board be faster if i fill in all 4 rimms with RDram or faster with 2 slots full and 2 crimms ?

2.) Samsung and kingston should work fine together right ?

thanks

Gogeta

Usually boards are a little faster with only 2 sticks of memory instead of all 4. However, your mileage may vary and the difference may be insignificant - you'll have to try both configurations yourself to evaluate.

Yes, the Kingston and Samsung should work OK together. Note that depending on the batch and models, one pair may overclock better than the other. So I'd try 4 different configs:

2 Kingston only (slots 1&2, CRIMMS in slots 3&4)
2 Samsung only (slots 1&2, CRIMMS in slots 3&4)
Kingston in slots 1&2, Samsung in slots 3&4
Samsung in slots 1&2, Kingston in slots 3&4

Of course, I'm anal. You could do just the first 3 configs.

So, does this mean you finally got the 8IHXP to work? Or is this a renewed attempt to get it working for the first time?

Thanks

Thnaks man

Ill try all 4 ways

well my board did start to work man b4, but like i said, i bench 1989 mb/s with my memory

im supposed to get 3600mb/s :(

anywayz my friend is sending me

180 gb hdd
1gb samsung pc 1066 ram
dvd burner
another GA-8iHXP board
and a readeon 9700 pro

we will see how it does, ill keep my current comp as a back up

thanks
Gogeta

Professor_Botje said:
Nowway, DUal channel QDRAM is P4 so its is faster if all the banks are full...

With RDRAM, latency is slightly lower if you fill all four RIMM slots (don't use any continuity modules, aka, "CRIMMs").

I'm not sure that your Samsung and Kingston PC1066 are going to be compatible. Make sure you manually set the RDRAM to 1066 in BIOS.

I filled all 4 RIMM slots, and the system is quite fast and stable up to 152MHz FSB. My on-board sound craps out if I go above that.
I'm using Intel retail HS+fan, with the "thermal tape" removed and replaced with a thin layer of artic silver--an immediate 5C drop in temps.RDRAM Latency

From the linked article:

"If you look at those MPX/DDR numbers, it makes you wonder why anyone ever complained about RDRAM's latency to begin with. Heh."

Heh.

BTW interesting about the latency difference there, never woulda thunk it. However, I'd still think that more memory sticks yields an inherently larger chance of problems with overclocking.

Genghis said:
From the linked article:

BTW interesting about the latency difference there, never woulda thunk it. However, I'd still think that more memory sticks yields an inherently larger chance of problems with overclocking.

I think this is true mainly if you mix RDRAM brands and speeds. This is the main reason why I bought 4 identical Samsung 32ns 128MB rimms from Newegg. I've heard about quite a few people having problems with OCZ (utter crap, apparently) and Kingston, depending on the yield. Because of the heatspreader, you can't easily ID the chips used by Kingston.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the stuff to get:

Samsung MR16R1624DF0-CT9 (128MB)
Samsung MR16R1628DF0-CT9 (256MB)
Samsung MR16R162GDF0-CT9 (512MB)

Samsung PC1066

Last edited:
Standing up for OCZ

All I hear is bad things about OCZ memory, especially RDRAM. Well, I don't know if I just got lucky; but my experience with it has been great. Here's the story:

It all started one Sunday afternoon when I was looking for some PC1066 RDRAM to go into my new GA-8IHXP P4 system. I went to pricewatch and found "House Brand/Samsug" memory (supposedly used Samsung chips that operate at 1066). I bought the memory, but to my dismay this was overclocked Pc800 samsung that didnt even run at 1066 only 800. After letting my frustration out to a punching bag and a little UT DM. I bought the OCZ Performance Series 1066 RDRAM. I got it today as a matter of fact. It ran at 1066 on 133FSB great and cool. I started overclocking my rig and it maxed out at 156 FSB the limit in my BIOS. I could run games 3Dmark2k1 all the way through and the temps were pretty low. So if my calculation are correct I was running PC1248 and was kicking *** on the Sandra memory benchmarks. And the ram was just warm (they come w/ heat spreader and lifetime warranty).

So there you have it OCZ RAM may not be that bad after all. By the way this was their latest revision of the RAM so maybe that made the difference.

Daniel

Re: Standing up for OCZ

Excellent, dstorrow! Glad the OCZ worked for you. What kind of periphials do you have-- sound, lan, CD/DVD and HDD. They tollerate a 39MHz FSB pretty well. The onboard sound on my 8IHXP craps out at 150MHz FSB/37.5MHz PCI.

just a SB audigy, a regular old 3COM PCI Network card, liteon DVD, optorite 40x burner, 2 IBM 120GXP HD's on RAID, and GF4 4200.

The system was pretty stable at this high FSB w/ no PCI lock, but I did encounter a few strange errors and artifacts in 3D.

However, to get it stable a college buddy (computer major) of mine edited the BIOS and flashed it on there. He somehow programmed a PCI lock into the BIOS. Hes a genius and will probably be going to MIT next year. I'd post a link to this custom BIOS, but I don't have the ROM. He just put it on there himself and has moved out.

SORRY:( Maybe if you do some internet searching you'll be able to find a custom BIOS for this mobo. I tried it for about a half hour when I first got it but to no avail.

Daniel

dstorrow,
So, what you're saying is, using the "custom bios" & OCZ-PS 1066 rdram, you're stable at fsb 156, & pass all benches in 3DMark & PCMark2002? Air cool cpu or what?

Did you try this OCZ with Bios F6 or F7? Result? What bios were you using before "custom bios" was flashed?

By the way, whatever "custom bios" you're using can be saved to your HDD, using Gigabyte Utility Manager. If you're willing to share this, please PM me for possible d/l, so we can check this out more thoroughly.

How have you verified that your PCI is "locked", using the "custom bios"?

Actually, OCZ, at one time, was selling rdram 800 as rdram 1066 too! In addition, their rdram 800 proved to be very low quality & problematic for many mobos. Maybe, OCZ has realized their errors & overcome their past rdram problems. If so, that's cool. I haven't seen any reviews of this "OCZ Performance Series 1066 RDRAM" yet.

If you found this OCZ worked stably at fsb >150, passing all 3DM & PCMark benches, with Bios F6 or F7, then that would be great news!

Devilduck,

I was just kidding about the custom BIOS, I was hoping someone would catch on with the MIT reference.

I cannot find any way to lock PCI, but I have just done some overclocking experiments with this RDRAM. I only tested it up to 148FSB. I stopped there because i got a windows error right after I changed to 150fsb and don't want to mess up this fresh installation. It was stable at the 148fsb with barely a temp change in system temp.

I used the F7 BIOS and only did PCMark and sandra as I have a pretty crappy video card in the rig now. it was done on a p4 2.4B cpu. I did the pcmark benchmark not HDD one as I embarassed of my HD performance right now (but will soon be getting a raid 0 setup on 2 80gb IBM 120GXP HD's). And did the cpu arithmetic, multimedia benches, and bandwidth and cache benchmarks.

Here's a few links to screens of the 148fsb benchmarks.

I might try even higher in the future, but as of now I am pretty satisified with it. I apologize again for that harmless fib, me know someone going to MIT, yeah right.

Daniel

Last edited:
Gogeta_787,

That'd be a good idea but this company does not answer their emails. I emaiiled them 3 or 4 times when I was deiciding what memory to buy (to know what brand is compatible) but never replied.

But what the hell, I"ll do it anyway. Might even get one of those programs that can send an email hundreds of times to get the *******s to maintain better customer service and comms.

Daniel

Back