• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7-II Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devlyn

I just received an ABIT BD7-II Mobo, 1.8a, and Corsair XMS 2700 RAM... when I completed the installation and hooked the power supply up, I was greeted by a nice lil' green LED. Once I powered up however, there was a sputtering sound from one of the fans, and it powered down. I checked all the power supply connections and then tried again, same results. I noticed all of the chips around the area of the power supply were hot :mad:, as well as the heat spreader on the Corsair. Also it smoked a small amount from what seemed to be where the power supply connected to the motherboard. The second black chip from the power supply connector seems to be pushed sideways, towards what look to be a bank of 4 resistors.

If anyone has any ideas what the issue could be, please let me know if any additional information is needed. Also, will I be able to RMA the set?

Are you sure you connected the small square power connector correctly?

About RMA: usually, smoked, melted, or burnt boards are not RMAeble (is that a word?), on account that this usually happens because of incorrect handling by the user (not implying here that you did that). The manual, and warranty clearly state that you have to know what you are doing while assembling the system. The above symptoms (smoked etc) usually imply that the user did not know what he/she was doing (again, not pointing at you, just stating what ABIT's point of view would be)

ALSO: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS (though I was it were on a more happy note ;))

Yes... both power connectors were plugged in. Is that the only situation that could cause that part of the motherboard to heat up so much? I wasn't sure if it was the power supply being bad, but my old motherboard still works on it (Abit KT7A)... and it is labeled for the ATX2.03 Intel P4, etc...

Also, if I were to send the motherboard back, would this have caused problems with the chip or RAM? It was on for a maximum of 5 seconds.

I understand you had both power supply connectors plugged in, but did you plug them in correctly? I.e., some people have blown boards by plugging the connectors in the wrong way. I.e., 45 degrees or 90 degrees turned. Do you see any blackening or melting on the connectors?

I don't know about your CPU and memory. Best way to know is:

test board with different power supply
test CPU in different board with different power supply
test mem in different board with different power supply

There was no blackening or melted plastic on the board at all... I believe they were in correctly the clips lined up with the connector.

Unfortunately I don't have any other computers to do that testing...

Ok, it was the smoke that made me ask that ;)

Try taking all cards out (if you already have any in there), and also take out and reseat the RAM. Then try running with only CPU, mem, and Vidcard.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try that when I get home from work. I'm hoping the board didn't fry, waiting for ground there and back isn't what I was hoping for, ya know?

I did have one thing that I wasn't sure about, do all cases have "spacers" built in for the mother board? The mobo tray in my case has brackets sticking out \_/ like that. I can't tell if the area on the spacer would be too large or not...

Just make sure you only have spacers where you have screws. If there are too many, they will short the board against the case, and that may result in the same things you already saw. So that is another possibility: make sure, there are no unused spacers!

That was the first thing I checked, which is why I asked about the "spacers" that are part of the metal of the tray. There were no unused studs, and all those that were part of the tray were also used.

is it possible that your power supply was set to 140 instead of 115? If that's the case, all you need is a new psu.

I had the misfortune of toasting one a while back when one of the wires partially came out of its cupling on the connector and arced to the board when booting.

Now I go through and put black tape on every single connector end as well as installing extra shielding over some of the wires. I think the PSU that burnt me was a decent Enermax, couldn't believe it. Needed to upgrade anyway...

What would happen if the single RAM chip was placed in DIMM 3 instead of DIMM 1?

Back