• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Abit IT7-MAX2 also miss-read temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spike_UK

As the title suggests, does the IT7 alos miss-read the temps? I've OC'd my 2.53ghz P4 to just below 2.9ghz and I'm getting temps in MBM5 of about 51c on idle and sometimes reaching 64 after heavy load (UT2K3).

Are these temps correct or are they out by about 5-10c?

I'm using the stock intel cooler

Spike_UK said:
As the title suggests, does the IT7 alos miss-read the temps? I've OC'd my 2.53ghz P4 to just below 2.9ghz and I'm getting temps in MBM5 of about 51c on idle and sometimes reaching 64 after heavy load (UT2K3).

Are these temps correct or are they out by about 5-10c?

I'm using the stock intel cooler

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I haven't heard anything about the diodes being off on that one. There are some boards that reportedly have that problem, but this often seems to be due to the fact that the user has inadequate cooling.

I would first trust the read temps, and make sure you have good cooling before assuming the board is off ;). Stock cooling is good, but not THAT good ;)

What kind of voltage are you using?

My current overclock is as follows

2.53ghz P4 (Malaysia)
FSB @ 152 (2891mhz)
PCI/AGP locked to 33mhz
DRAM Ratio H/W Strap set to Low with 3:4

1.55 vcore
2.6 vdimm (i think...I'm at work at the moment, cant check)

Timings are 2.5-7-3-3

UT2K3 Demo runs great! :p

Direct3D gets about 55-70 fps @ 1024x768 with 2xAA and 16xAF
OpenGL gets about 80-120 fps @ 1024x768 with 2xAA and 16xAF

That's using the r9700

Temps are fine at idle, normally around 50-53, but after a game of UT2K3 they are around 60-64 but drop back down to 50 very quickly.

I'd like to get higher than 152 fsb, it will post at 154 and windows works great but 3D Mark and UT2K3 drop to windows or worst case reset the machine. I know this isn't a temp issue as the p4 will throttle the cycles first. I don't think I trust going any higher with this stock cooler at the moment tho, 64c is getting abit too high.

Here's my Full system breakdown

Abit IT7-Max2
2.53ghz P4 @ 2.8(ish)
r9700 Pro
Corsair XMS3200 2x256mb

Didn't have any Arctic Silver at hand, I'm using Silicone Thermal Compound, not a known brand (not known to me anyway). It's just white goopy stuff.

Looking to get some arctic silver 3 if I even decide on a new cooler, dont want my bedroom to sound like a wind tunnel (more than it already does) :p

hah, dont trust that, with my luck I'd end up with the world first aqua cpu :p

From having no experience with PIV systems tis might be wrong but here goes =)..

When I had my Epox 8K3A board wich was one of the first to support the internal diod in AMD XP MBM had to be set to Winbond 2 DIOD, and everyone screamed HIGH TEMPS. Now days a board that not have the intrernal reading seems "old"

So same with this Abit board, to get a correct reading in MBM 5 you have to set it to read the Winbond 2 DIOD and not the socket termistor Winbond 2.

My temps: 158 x 19 1.55 Vcore

IdLe 39
LoAd 42

My temps: 164 x 19 1.65 Vcore

IdLe 40
LoAd 44

As I have no info on what the PIV should run at my temps seem just a little high then I expected. And your 64C top seam high.

Read a document max temp for PIV are 71C

Don't know what I wanted to say :) :) but from what I understand the MAX2 reads the intenal core temp and the temps you are compering yours to are on a normal socket sensor

I don't think it reports incorrectly. This is the first P4 board I've had that I believe what I see in BIOS. It's not hard to spot a descrepancy when running a Vapo and BIOS reports 80+ degrees. I finally see a reading of -3c with the MAX2. You're also running the stock cooler which are never meant to OC with, they're built to handle stock volt/heat. There are several good aftermarket HSF that are made to do what you want, like the MCX4000. I'd probably ramp down until the new HSF came in. My $.02 (or pence)

:cool:

Last edited:
Back