• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Great MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ss69nova

Ok I have finally decided to upgrade my old P4. First thing Money is not a big deal. I don't mind spending money on a great mobo.

I was one of those early suckers that saw a P1.4 for 800.00 (hole set up) And jumped on it in june of last year. ( Hay it was big upgrade form the old e machine 400mhz!!! So i looked into it and the more i found out the more i loved it.

It is a 1.4 willie processer with 400 mhz(800) Rambus. Socket 423 I would like to upgrade the mobo to a overclockable mobo. I recived a sujestion of a asus p4t. So i am looking up info about it now.

Does anyone have any sujestions? I would like to keep the same ram.

I have unlocked a amd. After a few tries i got it down. And i am now going to try my hand on the P.

Thanks for the help.

First, even if money is an object, upgrade your proc, too.

The Socket 423 format of your older P4 is going to be a real performance roadblock. Intel didn't get serious about making enthusiast (overclockable) chipsets until the Socket 478 and the 845E and 850E boards.

You might be able to overclock a 423 depending on the board, but the best performance is going to be on a 478. And with 2.4GHz/533 chips going for $200, there's no reason to stay with the older archetecture.

Then, if you want to keep your RAMBUS memory, I'd recommend the Asus P4T is a good choice. But check the Asus Mobo subcategory of this forum before you buy, I heard something about some users having problems overclocking.

BHD

Last edited:
Back