• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going for it - Upgrade to P4B533-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyborg

Finally I'm going for it.
I have a PIII 700@933 on an Abit BE6II for a couple of years and I'm very happy with it.
The only thing that kept me from upgrading is the fact that I would have to replace the MB and this means trouble for the setup on my HD.
Now I decided to go for an Asus P4B533-E a P4 2.4 CPU, 512MB DDR and a new geforce 4 Ti4200.

I'm using WinXP Pro with SP1 installed on NTFS and it never once crashed on me.

Now the question:
Is there any way to keep my hard drive exactly the way it is when I replace those components?

If not, I know I would have to reinstall all my software and for this, where can I find a list of files that keep my outlook addresses, birthday list in calendar, favorites, all email folders and email in those folders etc. etc.
I do have backups, even iso image from my HD, but as I understand it, it won't make a difference when installing a new MB :>(

Ohhh, what a pain it would be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cyborg

Don't quote me but your data should be safe since you're only making hardware changes. Windows will detect the changes and update the device drivers accordingly.

To be on the safe side, I would personally backup the whole installation and start with a clean install. Less hassles.

I only am really familiar with MS Outlook but this may work for Outlook Express too ...

You'll need to export your Outlook folders to a file. This is under File > Import and Export. Export to a file and select Personal Folder File (.pst). You're wanting to backup all of your Personal Folders (including sub-folders). You'll then be prompted for a path. Done!

Back this up to a CD and when you've completed the new install, get Outlook to Import the backed up .pst file. All of the Outlook stuff should be there.

Your Favourites are found in the Documents and Settings folder and under the sub-folder name under which you would normally log in as (probably as Administrator). Just click and drag this to a floppy disk or other media to back this up.

Not too much of a pain :)

Cheers

Thanx for the answers, I guess I'll have to find out what files to backup and I will install all from scratch.

This was much easier then I thought.
I found out that there is a way to do this without reinstalling XP and it worked for me.
Maybe this helps someone else in the future too.

After installing the new MB, CPU, Graphics card and memory, I booted from the XP CD and started the setup.
Do NOT take the "repair" at this stage, then after the license agreement chose the "repair installation".
After XP is done doing it's thingy, I just had to boot into save mode and remove the graphics card, I then installed the new graphics card drivers and voila, everything with my software and old hardware is just the way it always was and the new hardware is as it should be.
I had to reregister all MS office stuff etc., but that was no pain either.

Check this thread on some of my testing results. http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129815

hmm...i was wondering does the P4B533-E can run with a ddr400 stick ram?
coz im planning to get the same mobo as u(cyborg) did...but i want it to go with ddr400 instead of ddr266

so can the p4b533-e or p4b533 run with ddr400?

skitZo` said:
hmm...i was wondering does the P4B533-E can run with a ddr400 stick ram?
coz im planning to get the same mobo as u(cyborg) did...but i want it to go with ddr400 instead of ddr266

so can the p4b533-e or p4b533 run with ddr400?
I read somewhere about the 3:4 divider trick, with that you could run as high as everything else goes.
To run the memory at 400mhz you'd have to have a fsb of 150 and memory set to 3:4.
I'm sure you can use 400ddr with a default setup, it just wouldn't run at 400mhz (you'd be underclocking it).

Nope, that wouldn't work, it creates an iso image or backup image with hardware drivers and settings etc. and that is the problem.
It works when you replace a hard drive into the same system, but not when you change the system for the same hard drive.
Does this make sense? :D

Back