• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help swapping out Asus for an Intel mobo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i am swapping out my Asus P4B266 for an Intel D845GBVL and having some problems. I took out the Asus and put in the Intel with no problems. The only problem is that the Intel mobo will post fine, then it pops up the little screen that tells me WinXP was not properly shut down and I tell it to boot normally. But instead of showing the "Windows XP Professional" screen with the scrolling bar, the system restarts. I have tried to run Windows in every mode possible (all sorts of safe modes, debugging, etc.) and Win XP still won't load up. I put the Asus back in and it works fine. I am guessing that this could be a driver issue possible with some Asus drivers or something that aren't allowing the Intel to load XP. I could be wrong. I know there is nothing wrong with the Intel board because I just got it. If it is the drivers, couldn't i just delete all of the drivers and let all of them re-install when (if) the intel board boots up? i don't want to try it and have to swap mobos again cause it is a pain. i have heard from some people that the removing all of your system devices in hardware manager then shutting the pc down then performing the replacement works... i really don't want to have to start over again on this hd because i have a lot of very large files that i would like to not have to download again... i also heard that if you do a system repair using windows xp that it will work... just curious thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Most of the time when you switch MoBos you have to reinstall your OS. There's a pretty good trick for Win 9x but Win2000 and XP have a difficult time with new MoBos. I've been able to go from one 845E chipset to another but haven't had any luck going from one chipset to a different one. Other people have had some success but it seems like a crap-shoot.

Bottom line for you, I think, is that there should be a reinstall, or at least a repair install in your future.

Pop in your win xp cd, and when the cd boots, select the "repair windows" option, it will reinstall windows for you, and will keep all your settings the way they are right now.

thanks for the repair suggestion. did it and it works like a charm. now my system is rock stable. thanks again. you guys rock!

Back