• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4S533 and FSB OC..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yonder

Is this the only way to overclock this system? How is it done, and is it worth it? Is it safe?

Using Asus P4S533, P4 2.26GHz 533MHz, 512 Mb DDR 333 MHz, Asus Geforce4 8440

"Is this the only way to overclock this system? "

in a word - Yes.

"How is it done,"

by manually changing the FSB frequency in your bios - just like you stated in your first question.

"Using Asus P4S533, P4 2.26GHz 533MHz, 512 Mb DDR 333 MHz, Asus Geforce4 8440"

"and is it worth it?"

if you're willing to tinker and tweak your settings for "free" cpu performance - then yes, it's worth it.

" Is it safe?"

not necessarily - and that depends what "safe" means to you. if you're only talking about your cpu - and you only bump your fsb up 1 mhz or so at a time until you find the max stable fsb frequency - then i doubt you'll damage your cpu.

but if "safe" means nothing bad at all can happen during this procedure - then no it's not entirely safe. the most common thing that's happened to me is data loss from my hard drive - during the system tweaking stage wherein i seek out the limits of my system. once i find those limits, i operate just inside of them - "safely" - in my opinion because my system is stable at those settings.

the fact that you're using a cpu with a FSB of 133mhz limits your possibilities. this board maxes out at 166fsb, but by that point your peripherals likely won't appreciate your endeavors.

I doubt your peripherals will all function appropriately beyond 160mhz fsb - 150 fsb ought to be achievable, but as you pull away from 150mhz things get iffy with this board for many people.

You should be able to get close to 2.6ghz - much beyond 2.6ghz with that processor on this board is unlikely in my opinion.

I'd do it. But that's just me....

PEACE!
~BdK

Back