• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual DDR Boards coming out soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myzhi

Registered
See topic. I am so tempted to upgrade and try to hit 3Ghz, but don't want to be stuck with a old board if these things are coming out soon.

The earliest we can expect to see Dual DDR boards for a P4 will be December, and it will be built on a SiS or VIA chipset. If you don't want to run on the bleeding edge, expect another two months for a revised release.

Intel won't incorporate Dual DDR until they release the chipset that will replace the 845 series. That won't happen until next March or April, depending on when the Prescott/P5 ships. As with VIA/SiS and the original 845, it might take a second revision for Intel to work out any bugs and open the chipset to overclocking.

I would recommend taking advantage of the mature 845E and 845PE chipsets available now, but buying two sticks of high quality DDR so if you do upgrade later you can carry over your memory without confict.

BHD

The Intel E7205 chipset (codenamed Granite Bay) will be the first P4 dual-channel DDR chipset to be released. It should be officially announced at the end of this month and with availability of boards in November. Here are some of the GB boards to choose from.....

- Gigabyte GA-8INXP
- Asus p4G8X
- Chaintech 9GJS Zenith
- Abit GB7-Ultra (MAX Tech)
- Tyan Trinity S2662

The dual-channel DDR chipsets from VIA (P4X600) and SIS (655) will follow afterwards but before the end of the year.

The Granite Bay looks like it'll be an awesome performer. Kyle from [H]ardOCP has just released a screenshot of his Asus P4G8X (Granite Bay) sample board running at 188MHz (752FSB) - that's 6GB/s of memory bandwidth kids.........

http://hardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=506435]

Prepare to want one!!!!:D

oh my god, pear that up with some mushkin ddr 2700 and cas 2-2-2 high performance ram, a 3.06 ghz CPU and a prometia and I'd be dreaming.

Kunaak said:
oh my god, pear that up with some mushkin ddr 2700 and cas 2-2-2 high performance ram, a 3.06 ghz CPU and a prometia and I'd be dreaming.
Yeah SMT with that 3.06 would be nice but that 23x multiplier would suck for the high FSBs that would make GB really fly!!! Best to go with a low-multi CPU and crank the FSB as far as it'll go, a C1-stepping 2.26 (SL6DU) is the ideal candidate!!!:)

Back