• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VH6T thermistor question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monaco

I just got a VH6T for cheap. So far, I am very happy with it, but of course there's a problem :D

The first thing I noticed when I took the board out of the box was the small, blue thermistor right in the middle of the CPU socket. First impulse- check southbridge; be sure this isn't an AMD board! lol

Why does this thing have an in-socket thermistor? It looks like Abit ignored the perfectly good (and FAR more accurate) thermistor built into every Intel CPU.

My temps are pretty weird, so I think I must be right, but I'd like a second opinion :D

Yes the VH6T is an Intel based motherboard. I don't know why Abit used the blue thermistor on this board, while the Abit ST6 uses the thermistor built in the CPU.

Based on my experience, 40C is about the limit for my CPU. I start having problems when I get above 40C.

hey thanks for the confirmation man. I wish it were otherwise....I mean, were Abit's mobo engineers smoking crack that day ? :rolleyes: :D

Good thing I already know what this CPU can do; the temp readings on here are worthless. At least 15 degrees C too low.

I'm not aware of any software that can read the CPU thermistor. I'm not sure if it is possible when the motherboard does not support this. Maybe someone else can help answer this question. I would love to be able to read the CPU thermistor, because then I could compare temps with my other motherboard/CPU's.

I'm assuming Abit just left off the components needed to read the CPU thermistor.

Looking around the board, I found a familiar Winbond hardware monitoring chip that normally handle temps and stuff. So the chip is there, perhaps it just isn't hooked up?

One of the CPU pins must handle the on-die thermometer, it should be possible to read it directly off the chip with a homemade device. Don't ask me how, tho :D

I'm wondering if the new pinout of the Tualatin is what caused Abit to do this. I hope they had SOME good reason to leave off such a useful feature!

Back