• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which chipset? Sis? nvidia? via or intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

being a newbie which chipset is good? i am looking forward to make a system based on p4 2.5 ghz with DDR PC2700 ram and radeon 9700 pro in it

all these different chipsets and features are making my life miserable as far as choosing the board is concerned right now i have eyes on these two boards

Gigabyte GA-8IGXP and i am just reading this review of ASUS P4S8X

m so confused :(

with the P4 go for the Intel chipset...

have a look at the new 845PE mobo's that are being released now

also are you looking at the P4 2.5a (400fsb) or the P4 2.53 (533fsb) ??

well frankly speaking i dunno the difference btw two so i will go for the one with higher numbers :D 2.53 533FSB i guess that will go with a DDR board ? i dun wanna get a RDRAM board

baqai said:
well frankly speaking i dunno the difference btw two so i will go for the one with higher numbers :D 2.53 533FSB i guess that will go with a DDR board ? i dun wanna get a RDRAM board

yep the 2.53 with DDR is a good choice...

have a look at the new ASUS P4PE or the Giga-Byte 8PE667 Ultra or Pro models.

on the specification page of Asus's board its written AGP 4X 1.5V only will geforce2/3/4 series card work on it? and will Radeon 9700Pro and nv30 and other upcmoing cards work on it?

Yes, they will work. They're backwards compatible.

And all things equal, I'd get an Asus over a Gigabyte. Gigabytes are good, but I've heard of some funky stuff going on with their boards lately, particularly their new boards. I didn't have a single hiccup from my Asus p4s533. Other thoughts?

OH with DDR, some boards recommend using one memory slot when overclocking. I am having no trouble using 2, but some people have reported problems. Be careful.

lol gladiator .. i am currently running a AMD system and want Intel for a change (and besides the point that my cousin is working in Intel and he have EATEN my mind to try intel for a "change") :D

i talked with my vendor and he told me he can't get me a 2.53 but he can get me a 2.4 i have no idea of FSB etc i guess once i see the box i will be able to know exactly what processor is he talking about, do you ppl have any idea?

Back