• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4B266 - boots with jumpers at 133 but not w/ Softmenu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stachelmond

Hi,

I have a (minor) problem with my Asus P4B 266. I Installled a Nothwood 1,8 and tried to set it to 133 via the Bios-Menue. It didn´t post, max FSB to post was 112. Overvolt activated and voltage setup up 1,8 V. No chance. :mad: ...
Then I tried the DIP Switches an set the frequency to 133. Posts, rock solid system with Vcore of 1,65V (Asusprobe) @ 52 °C (prim95) with boxed cooler. :cool:
My question is: Why the hell wouln´t post my board with the Bios Settings in JumperFree mode? It would be so much easier for me (doin the 3:4 trick)....

Stachelmond

Same problem!!!

Hello!
My Spec. Asus P4B266, P4 Northwood 1.8, 2x256 Apacer 2100 Ram.
I have the same problem, I can not go any higher than 112 FSB.
I have tried to set the dip-switches but the computer won't post.
What kind og ram are u using?? and can u give me a more detailed description on how u got 2.4ghz??

Sincerely
DaTeacher

Hi,

nice to hear from a P4b266 owner! I have (only) one 256 MB Infineon 3rd DDR CL2-3-3.
The first one i got by the way was defect. My board posted, but i wasn´t able to install Win on my formatted HD. One day later, after trying 3 different CD´s (was getting read errors on and on) I checked the RAM with Memtest86... and returned it to the dealer.

Having no sucess with the SoftMenu settings and beeing totaly frustrated I tried the DIP Switches. First you have to Jumper the JEN to Jumper Mode (Handbook 2-17), then I selected the 18x multiplier (shouldn´t matter because of fixed internal multi but who knows) on the DIP switches (2-18) and then selected the 133 FSB (2-19). Be sure to read the DIPs the right way.

First boot I tried with the Overvolt jumper (2-22). Activated i manged to post up to 155 FSB (remeber no chance in the Softmenu to post 115!). Didn´t try it higher, but system worked stable.

I don´t know if this is of any interest to you, I deactivated the USB2.0 via Jumper and onboard Sound via Bios. Memory controlled by SPD.

After reading a bit in the Sudden Nothwood Death Syndrom thread I decided to go back to 1.5V and I´m running now a rock solid 143 FSB (2572 MHz), 24 hours Prime95 at 49 °C (30°C tower-temp). I decided to go for 143FSB because i think its agood compromise between speed and stress for my AGP/PCI bus.

If there is anything I missed, please ask again.

Hope that helps, Stachelmond

Still no sucsess

Hi there!

Funny to here about your ram, I also had that same problem, one of my 256mb chip did not work and I could not understand why WinXP did not install.
But anyway I tried everything U said about the dip-switches and the JEN Jumper and so on....but the computer just wont post.
I guess I have to live with 1.8ghz though.

Thank U very much for your answer.
DaTeacher

Hi,

I´m sorry to hear that your baby didn´t boot.
Have you tried to reset your Bios to default before turning to DIP Mode?
Is you PSU strong/good enough? Every increase in voltage/speed means higher power consumption. Whats about your voltages? (asusprobe)
Is your system running very hot?
What FPO/BATCH is your processor?

Bye Stachelmond

juhu

Hi again!
Finally I got some extra boost :)
CPU @ 2.214ghz, 1.65V and my PC2100 ram @ 328mhz and all in jumper-free mode. All I had to do was to enable the Turbo1 mode in bios. I also tried 2.4ghz but I got blue-screen while booting XP.

Sincerely
DaTeacher

Back