• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4T-E and overclocking problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mufmuf

Hello there,
Can someone please help me with overclocking my P4T-E mainboard?

I own a P-4 NorthwoodA 2.2GHz (have also tried NorthwoodA 1.6GHz with the same results) and the maximum internal clock rate I get out of it is 110. Anything more and the system gets unstable, with frequencies over 120 FSB the system does not even boot up.
All the reviews on the P4T-E speak about great overclock possibilities but for me it simple does not work. I have tried to put the processor to a much cheaper ASUS P4B533-M motherboard and it runs excellently at 133 MHz FSB.
What could be the problem, what do you suggest me to try?
I have been trying to overclock both via BIOS and jumpers/switches(used the hints found at: http://www.prawlings.net/mycomputer/p4teoverclock.htm) . None worked.

My config:
ASUS P4T-E (the ICS clock generators)
P4 Northwood A processors (1.6 and 2.2GHz), original fan (but no overheating noticed in the temperature monitor)
512 MB RAM, RIMM Samsung 800-45 (2x256MB, inserted exactly as described in the manual)
ASUS V8420 64MB videocard
some PCI cards, which I removed to eliminated any extra interference, but with no effect

in the BIOS I tried the the "3x" memory timing (4x too, no difference). Have also tried all possible voltage.

Is there any other setting in the bios which I possibly oversaw? I have seen some instructions on the net which suggest to do a wire trick to raise the processor voltage and set the frequency and FSB/AGP and FSB/AGP ratio throu the switches but this is not how I want to act, this seems too brutal for me!
Or is it just simply that the motherboard is not good enough to handle FSB's over 120? That would be sad...

Thank you for your help, I appreciate any hints
Muf

mufmuf said:
Or is it just simply that the motherboard is not good enough to handle FSB's over 120? That would be sad...

I don´t think so! The P4T-E is made for overclocking!! I´m running my 1.6a perfectly stable @ fsb138 with my two 256MB Samsung PC800 sticks @ 4x in turbo mode!

Sorry can´t help you with your problem - but I can tell you - it´s NOT the motherboard!

Thanx for info, bixsexy. Do you overclock your CPU by BIOS or through the jumpers? If by jumpers, how did you raise the voltage? Did it work when you tried to overclock the CPU in the BIOS?
Thank you

In jumperless mode you can only go up to fsb133! Advantage: You can set the voltage up to 1.65 in that mode!

In jumpermode (which I´m using) you can go up to fsb156 - but you have to change the voltage with the wire trick. I don´t do that - that´s the reason, why I´m "only" at 2.2 GHz - which is below average for the Woody 1.6a! Mine runs stable @ default voltage with fsb138 - anything higher and it gets unstable!

Back