• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help I'm new!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banshee350

Registered
I have never overclocked a pc!

Here is what I ordered,

P4 2.53/533 Intel

Abit IT-7 Max 2

Corsair XMS 3200 C2 512 MB DDR

All this will be in a case with a fan in the side with lots of vents, also dual fans on the front inside, and the stock intel retail P4 cooling (can order something if needed).

This will be a gaming machine, but I don't like crashes at all!

What should I over clock this machine to? 3.0 ghz would be nice but is it possible in my case?!

How do I over clock this setup? I have read alot of stuff, but I have no hands on experience.
What do I do in the bios setup?

Thanks for you time,
Your challenge to teach me is greatly appriciated!

Welocme to the forums
cheak the front page for many well written how to's and explanations on overclocking. your results will entirly be up to luck. you may go anywhere from 2.6-3.2 with that cpu and setup. when you read all you can and still need questions answered. dont hesitate to through one out to us. feel free to email me or pm me as i have a very similar set up as you

Thank you for your help!

I will tell you how it works out. I hope I don't ruin anything I can't afford another cpu. I'm pretty sure I won't though.

I will let you know how it turns out. Unfortunatly I still am waiting on my power supply to come in..... grrrr

Welcome to the forums!

One thing, before you ever boot that thing I would take that stock P4 cooling off and throw it in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. The reason I say this is if you heat that processor up, more of that nasty thermal pad residue will sink into the pores of your nice new P4 and contaminate it. Not that big of a deal, but I am very particular about mine.

I use a Cooler Master, but I am sure that the folks here can offer more up to date advice on heatsinks than me. Always use Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste, there is no substitute.

You are going to need a nice PSU too, I had to yank out my nice 340 Antec to make room for a 480 Truepower Antec because 340 didn't cut it. Good luck!

Back