• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC PIV 2.0 on Asus P4S533..... Need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calian

Currently i'm running my PIV 1.8 (northwood) @ 2610 (FSB145. vcore 1,60v) on an Asus P4S533 DX, and it's 100% stable....

I got hold of an PIV 2.0 northwood, but i can't even get it to run stable @ 2400 (FSB 120), not even when i up the vcore to 1.70.

I'm currently using the 1006c bios from the german Asus site, could that be the problem????

Any ideas???

PCI frequency is 40mhz

40mhz is a likely too tough pci frequency for your peripherals to handle. that's what your devices are seeing at 120mhz FSB. Try bumping your FSB up to 133mhz so the 1/4 divider kicks in - bringing your PCI freqs back to 33mhz.

then work your way up from there.

relax your memory timings until you max out your cpu, then gradually bring those memory timings back up to their maximum stable settings at whatever your current settings end up being.

if you can't get your cpu to run at 133mhz fsb, you may get stuck settling on an fsb somewhere around 115mhz or so depending on what your peripherals will tolerate.

-BdK

Thx m8...

My Apacer DDR333 easily runs at 200mhz and i havn't been over that, but maybe i should try at 1:1, see if it boots at 133fsb, and then go up from there......

one more thing...

when you say 1.7vdc core voltage - is that solely via making a bios adjustment, or did you VID pin mod.

the 2 are not the same, and your cpu can and often will perform with a 1.7vdc VID pin mod, but not the 1.7vdc bios adjusted setting without the VID pin mod.

as i understand, the bios settings for nonstandard cpu core voltage settings are not initially seen by the cpu from the start of the boot up sequence. sometime after the boot up sequence starts, the bios adjusted cpu core voltage settings are applied.

but...with a vid-pin mod the motherboard is seeing the cpu's default voltage requirement as you dictate - from the start of the boot up sequence.

with the vid-pin mod you may be able to boot at higher FSBs than otherwise possible - at least that has been my experience.

it can be as simple as dropping a tiny U-shaped strand of wire into 2 holes of the cpu socket - that's all I did.

-BdK

Hmmm....

No luck at all, won't boot with 133fsb...

Guess i have to look into the VID pin mod, it's the only thing i haven't tried yet....

Thx again M8.... :)

The VID pin mod works like a charm....

So far i've only gone to 2667 (133fsb, vcore 17.25v), but i'm confident that i can go higher.....

I'm using a watercooled system, and in Prime 95 the cpu reaches 39c, but my 120mm fans is running on 6.5volts (Pabst fans) so there should be room for upping the vcore some more....

Again, many thanks.... I'll let you know how high i can go before it gets unstable....

be careful now....

i wouldn't up that vcore much beyond where you have it set - if at all.

not unless you have no aversion to replacing your cpu should damage it.

i don't consider watercooling to be "extreme cooling"

nonetheless, enough people running 1.8vdc+ combined with extreme cooling have had some cpu damage. it's my impression that the number of people was of sufficient significance that their situation couldn't be written off as mere coincidence.

I'd say to stay away from 1.8vdc if you can. and i wouldn't stray past 1.8vdc. 1.7ish vdc should be okay.

before i'd bump up that vcore any more - i'd push the cooling a little harder and then bump the fsb up. if you can get around 150mhz fsb or a little higher, you did about as good as you can on this board. your pci dependent devices will likely hold you back from that point onward.

i wouldn't get too crazy with that vcore .

...but that's just me....

PEACE!
~BdK

Back