• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4bda and pcxxxx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hellraiser

hi all,
i read the article on the web site today about memory i got a bit more clever that i thought :)

i was wondering if my 4bda supports PC3200 ddr ram?
i think i have pc2100 right now but i now know that i could get alot more increase in performance if that "PCxxxx" number gets higher. my northy would like that a lot :)

ne1 help?

thx

While it's not "officially supported", it will work fine. I've run my 1.6a @ 150 fsb for 2.4GHz on the 4BDA, using the 3:4 setting so that my memory is at 200MHz/DDR400/PC3200. Though I used PC2700 Samsung, any memory from PC2100 on up will function correctly in the 4BDA.

hmmm

dont get this wrong, but r u sure it suppoerts for eg. pc3200 ddr ?
u r the only one who was able to give me this answer ( kind enough anyway :)))) thx )

i dont know if i can trust the board on supporting pc3200 ram and giving my the bandwidth of pc3200....

no clue....

Re: hmmm

Hellraiser said:
dont get this wrong, but r u sure it suppoerts for eg. pc3200 ddr ?
u r the only one who was able to give me this answer ( kind enough anyway :)))) thx )

i dont know if i can trust the board on supporting pc3200 ram and giving my the bandwidth of pc3200....

no clue....
Hmm, maybe you should read my post again? No, the board does NOT "officially support" PC3200, but it will run at that speed...I know because mine does it! ;)

As for bandwidth, set as previously stated (fsb at 150, 3:4 ratio set for 200MHz/DDR400/PC3200 memory speed), Sandra results show I get over 3000MB/sec. Is that enough bandwidth for your expectations? Guess I should also mention the result is with slow timings too, so you might see a bit more bandwidth using the agressive setting that true PC3200 (if CAS-2 rated) memory should be capable of. :)

Re: :)

Hellraiser said:
i will try it out and post my resulsts!
Keep in mind you may have to use the mobo jumpers to increase vmem on the 4BDA, as that's not in the BIOS. Memory modules vary a lot in the voltage required to reach particular speeds and/or timings, so you can't really predict how much you may have to increase it to reach a stable 200MHz/DDR400. The 4BDA allows up to 2.9vmem, which I think has killed my stick of Samsung PC2700. :eek: Don't worry about 2.7v or less, but I don't recommend 2.8v and up unless you can afford to take the risk, it may be ok or you could wind up with a DIMM like mine. Good luck! :beer:

nodsetse,

When you run your 4BDA board at 150 mhz FSB, do you have any problem with rebooting?

Thanks,
AP

AgentPsycho said:
nodsetse, When you run your 4BDA board at 150 mhz FSB, do you have any problem with rebooting?
Well, 95% of the time the answer is no. Once in a great while, when I tell windoze to reboot, it doesn't start up again and I have to press the reset switch. I don't consider it an issue specific to the 4BDA though, because the same thing happens with my Abit BD7. Regardless, it's so infrequent that it's no hassle and doesn't bother me at all, especially since it always runs fine when hard booted. :D

Back