• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IT7 MAX 2 just arrived- need serious help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chop

I finally got it all set up. 2.8, 3500 Corsair, and the IT7-Max2. I went in to Sisoft to see some memory scores and almost had a heart attack. My Memory score was 2005/2005. Someone help me set this badboy up please. I am a rookie with some serious hardware. Timings, settings, advice, bring it at me. Thanks.

Set your hardware strap to LOW in the soft menu bios thing and select "3:4" under the divider option.

Next overclock your FSB. i'd reccomend at least 150 mhz, which would have you running at DDR 400.

I have the same mobo/cpu/memory as you and i run at 163 FSB, 3:4 memory, 2-6-3-3

What kind of cooling you got on the chip?

Also i had to place a small fan on the northbridge heatsink on the IT7Max 2 to get high FSB with reliability

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a go right now and report back. What should my scores look like at DDR 266 with this chip? Also, I have my two hard drives(WD100G and WD120G) plugged into IDE 3 (WD120 with WIndows loaded) and IDE 4 (other drive). I'm not sure if this is the best way to set these up? I have never used RAID or these IDE controllers before. Should I create an array? SO many questions. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
OK - That's a little better. 2712/2713 was the Sisoft score with the settings you gave. Does that seem right? Is it just a matter of overclocking from here? By the way, my cooling is in the signature.

Cool you have got your stuff that fast =)

The memscore are quite normal, when I hade AMD system different bioses gave very diffirent resultat so we can hope for some boost. From what I can tell your mem will never hold you back. So now it's all about overclock from here.

If your not having the AV bios in there could you maybe post if there are diffrences?

you are right now @ 133 x 21 then? = 2800 Mhz =)

you might get a overclock like 158 x 21 = 3300 and then you will be at DDR speed of 420 and then the bandwith will be around 3200.

Read somewhere that if your cpu is at 3000Mhz like mine, the band with must be 3000 or more. Else the CPU will not be that effective. so if you have a 3000 cpu and a bandwith of 2100. The cpu might have a real rate of 2400Mhz.

I think this is why AMD systems with more bandwith have these strange rating system.

So the tip is to have more bandwith then your CPU's Mhz :)

or else it will suffer from the Intel chip bottleneck ...

I have the PC3200C2 stick and it runns at DDR420 2-6-3-3 @2.7V
so if you are not planning of gigantic overclock your mem will be fine @ 2,5V maybe

Want RAID to I see =) ....might have some tips there...just say the words.

I hope to get another serial adapter to see if there are more preformence there. I'm right now around 51000 Sandra very basic setup

2 drives can give you speed or safty, not both I'm afraid.

what CPU/system temps are you at now?

@Greffel,

Ambient temps on Winbond are right around 39C. Full load is 44C. From what I have read this appears to be normal with air on these boards. I went ahead a bumped the FSB to 145 (3045)last night and it didn't even blink. I'm still on 1.52vs with that as well. My temps are at this speed are 43C/48C.

RAID is somewhat of an interest, but I'm not sure what I'll really gain. I currently have my two WDs SEs hooked seperately into IDE 3 and 4 without any array and they seem to show solid benchmarks in SIsoft. I'm always open to suggestions.

Well I am running this thing through some overclocking test and have appeared to hit a snag.

155 FSB (3255)with DRAM Timings 2-6-3-3, CPU Voltage @ 1.65, memory voltage @ 2.7 seems to run all my application fine, temperatures are good. 44c/50c. When I start to play Unreal2003 it freezes about two to three minutes into the game. ANy ideas what may be causing this? I'm sure I need to back off something, but I am not sure what? I notice people are getting into the 3.2 voltage areas with the Memory Voltage and I'm curious if this is needed to set higher fsb stability?

Put your finger on the heatsink over your northbridge chipset while overclocked. if it's too hot to touch, i recommend placing a small fan on it, something like 49mmx49mm. removing the heatsink and applying some ASIII on it also helps a lot.

i can run stable at 160 fsb with Vcore of 1.7 and Vdimm of 2.8 with 3:4 memory divider, 2-6-3-3 with the same parts as you have.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out right now. I think my CPU voltage may have been too low. I'll up that and see what sticks.

I felt the chipset and it wasn't very warm to the touch. I also felt the memory and it wasn't too hot either. I upped the voltage and couldn't get into Windows load up.

Also, what is your divider set at? 44X/33X/4X/3X what is the best?

Last edited:
PCI divider should be set to 33Mhz FIXed for stability, and its easy to check what needs to be backed down :)

Just set mem on 1:1 divider and up the fsb and voltage until you thing the Vcore is in what you feel right. They say never go above 1.7V

Then ad the 3:4 divider....your mem should never be a problem for you. 164 FSB for me will run the mem @ 164 x 1.33 = 218Mhz and that's cas 2.

@Greffel.

Glad to see oyu are back. What about the memory voltage. I am limited to 2.8. Will that cause instability? RIght now, WHen I go above 150 fsb 3:4 diver, 33x locked, the system crashes in UT 2003 everytime. No matter what voltage I set it on. It boots fine and all other applications are fine. I'll try the 1:1 and see what happens.

Tried the 1:1, and I can't get the system to boot past 150-155fsb stable. Maybe that is all my chip can handle? Its funny, but I can get 150 fsb at stock voltage (1.525). As soon as I try to bump it up to 155, I start geetting all sorts of problems. I have the pci locked to 33x and I've taken the voltage as high as 1.7 CPU and 2.8 for memory (1:1 as well). ANy other suggestions?

Not really a expert on PIV but if you raise the voltage the only thing that should give you problems is heat....

your temps seem fine, so just let the chip run at 150FSB stock voltage if that works and give it a try later...

My chip maxes out @ 1,7V 164 FSB if I want a 110& stability...

and your V_dimm should be fine at 2.8 max....since mine is. Putting in more juce in the stick does noyhing for me

Greffel said:
Not really a expert on PIV but if you raise the voltage the only thing that should give you problems is heat....

your temps seem fine, so just let the chip run at 150FSB stock voltage if that works and give it a try later...

My chip maxes out @ 1,7V 164 FSB if I want a 110& stability...

and your V_dimm should be fine at 2.8 max....since mine is. Putting in more juce in the stick does noyhing for me

It seem slogical to me as well, but raising the voltage does nothing for this chip. I can hit 150-152fsb at stock voltage, ut as dsoon as I try and climb above that it becomes a circus. It won't stabilize in 3DMARK2001 and freezes during game play.

If you cant get the PIV past 160 FSB @ 1:1 divider then it's your limit.

Could also be that the chip gets very unstable over 50C, a normal problem

Back