• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IT7-MAX 2/330W Power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chop

First off, I know this is related to a "Power Supply" questions, but more importantly, it an overclock issue with the IT7-MAX 2. As you can see from my signature, I have alot of hardware on this board and I am concerned that my power supply may be be a potential pitfall with my new system. Can a Power Supply hold one back from overclocking? I have looked at the bios/memory voltage numbers and they appear to be stable. Fluxuate a little.

The reason I ask is: My current overclock has the FSB @ 150 X 21 @ 1.525v with absolutely no problem at all. I stressed it out all night (SIsoft) and it didn't bat an eye. As soon as I take the FSB to 152(+) I get serious instability. Sometines it won't boot in WIndows, other times it crashed running different apps and games. Logic says that I need more voltage for the CPU. I've gone in increments of .25 all the way to 1.725 and have yet to establish any stability over 150 FSB. I have plenty of headroom with my Cosair 3500 cas2(I think?). I have the PCI locked at 33x. I have the DRAM timings 2-6-3-3 and have attempted 3:4 and 1:1 on "LOW" settings. Any thoughts from the experts out there? By the way, I have the "AV" BIOS.

I'm beginning to think:
a) the CPU is maxed out (seems odd that it would max out at 1.525 volts)
b) the Power suply can't handle the increase in volts?

I have just about the same problem as you, chop. I'm running an IT7 max 2 with a 2.8 and corsair 3500 CL2.0. My temps are not a problem, water cooling is fun. My PSU is an enermax 365 watt. I have 2 cd-roms and a hard disk hooked up to the juice.

Past 163 FSB, it will not boot into windows but it will post and I can muck around in the bios.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the Power Supply and noticed it was a 300w Antec instead of a 350w. This must be my problem? I have four fans connected to the PS, Two others connected the MB, Two hards drives, CD-R drive, DVD Drive. The interesting thing is with my previous equipment (ASUS P4T-E and 1.8 @ 2.4) (same fans and drives) I had no problems with voltages in the same case and operating off the same PS.

300W Antec...Hmmm That's not alot of power for a PIV. Did you connect the extra 4 pin connector ?

You need to post a screenshoot off your voltages in MBM for example ...

when using your PC for hardcore gaming, let's say 1 hour. How low does your 5, 12 and 3,3 Volt go ?

Well it is not the Powersupply. I went and bought a new 430W True Power Antec and it purrrs like a kitty, but it didn't change a thing on my overclocks. 159 FSB is all I can get so far. I have ruled out the DDR as the issue based on the specs but maybe you all could offer up any other opinions. Should I use the 3.2 volts for the memory? It seems to me like it should run just fine at 2.8v or below based on the specs. I would think the 2.8 PIV could hit 3300 on air easily but I haven't been able to achieve it.

You might of just reached the limit of your CPU. I know some chips after you hit a certin voltage you can up it and you get nothing out of it except more heat. I can say trust me its not the PSU. I've had enough things run of the PSU on computer without a hitch and I only got a 330 Watt antec.

You might have to face it that the CPU just won't go anymore, or in otherwords return/sell it and get a better one :D .

Back