View Full Version : is silicone grease dielectric
i guess the title is my question
10-16-02, 09:56 PM
I dont think so
cuz on the internet a site was selling Ge dielectric grease and in the description they where saying silicone grease help maintain contact .....
10-19-02, 10:42 PM
I know most silicone greases are thermal conductors but pore electrical conductors. It should work fine for what you need, but check it with an ohm meter first. Silicone is not conductive usually.
Hope that helps.
10-20-02, 04:25 PM
They sell dielectric grease to isulate the holes in the CPU socket if that's what you're looking for.
10-21-02, 01:17 AM
If you are asking about common white silicone thermal grease, the answer is no. In fact, you can use it to fill in the pitts of an Athlon XP processor. The substance that fills in those pitts, has to be absolutely non-conductive. However, one time I accidentally bought "silicone grease" thinking it was regular thermal grease. It turned out to be kind of like vasoline and it was labeled as having "excellent dielectric properties". So if you are talking about white, pasty thermal grease it's non-conductive. If it's greasy vasoline-like substance, then probably dielectric.
I've used the Permatex dielectric tune-up grease from the auto supply store.
10-23-02, 08:27 AM
The main thing it what are you going to use it on?
If you are filling pits in a xp processor get a peice of plastic and put some greasee on the plastic and test the resistance.
But even the white thermal paste for heat sinks can conduct electricity, you must always check it first.
If you just want to buy it to use as a thermal paste it would work for the cpu just don't glob it on because if were to cunduct electricity you might short something out
10-24-02, 06:35 PM
My multimeter measures up to 2000 Megohms. I stuck it in some standard white thermal compund, and no reading. If it's higher than 2 billion ohms resistance, I think it's safe to say it's a dielectric. A dielectric by the way is an insulator. It's what's between the plates of a capacitor to stop it conducting - and to get the plates to hold charge. I'd be wary of using it to as dielectric grease though - it may have undesirable properties at the temperatures you want to use it at, or any number of reasons that render it useless for what you want to use it for. I'd go with proper dielectric grease.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.