• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR vs. RDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

Which is "better"? I know that rdram is for Intel systems because it can handle the fast speed of the Intel CPU, but DDR is doube-data rate, right? So, which is better?

Just curious... :)

There has also been talk of Intel phasing out Rambus..... DDR will become faster(Dual DDR) and not only that but its better for fsb overclocking.

Goo Kenson said:
RD is faster, but DDR is catching up in speed and is cheaper.

i second that, but not quite. DDR pc3500 memory ownz rdr in overclockability and performance anyday, so i see no point on buying rdr anymore now that p4s support ddr. RDR RIP

You'd need a 219FSB on your AMD processor to take full advantage of pc3500. Or a 110fsb on intel to take full advantage of it. (note that the memory bus would have to be 219 still!) You need a 133fsb on intel to take full advantage of 1066 RDRAM.
With AMD, the processor limits the memory bandwidth. With intel, the memory limits the bandwidth.

PC1066 is still faster than pc3500, but not by much. And dual pc2700 will beat pc1066.

I don't understand the needed differences in FSB for AMD and Intel. Do they have different ratios/multipliers? :confused:

The actual default FSB is 133MHz for AMD and Intel. But AMD runs the FSB as a DDR bus, sending data at the top and bottom of the clock cycle so the effective speed is 266MHz. Intel goes AMD two better and gets four data movements per clock cycle, giving it a 533MHz effective speed.

BHD

The be-all and end-all is that although RDRAM is faster than DDR, it is way to expensive. Unless its price drops drastically, DDR (and Dual-DDR) have the market sewn up.

I'd have to say DDR is better, purely on a money/performance thang......:)

BaldHeadedDork said:
The actual default FSB is 133MHz for AMD and Intel. But AMD runs the FSB as a DDR bus, sending data at the top and bottom of the clock cycle so the effective speed is 266MHz. Intel goes AMD two better and gets four data movements per clock cycle, giving it a 533MHz effective speed.
BHD
Just comment:

Intel
Bus-commands: 133/100 Mhz(base)
Data(only if two talking devices support this rate):4Xbase(400/533),2Xbase(200/266),1Xbase
Adress(only if two talking devices support this rate):2Xbase(200/266),1Xbase

Back