• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Corsair XMS and how much MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

does corsair xms pc3500c2 have any advantage? why do people buy that stuff if their fsb doesn't even go that high, or do people get it because it basically assures you a certain oc speed? also, how much should i get? im thinking 512, but if i can, ill avoid it and go with 256. i understand that one stick of 512 oc's better then 2x256, so i want to avoid adding a second stick in the future, but for a year now ive been running windows xp on my crap *** dell off of 128+256=384 of slowass sdram paired with my 733 p3. people keep saying that windows xp needs 512 to run well, but hell, i had xp running even before i added an additional 256. help please?

Yes one stick to OC is better than two equaling the same size and the one stick eg... like you used... "1 stick of 512 / 2x256"....I would go for 512 even tho its a bit more :)

what speed? is it necessary to get 3500? or is 3000 or 3200 good enough?

EDIT: if i get 3500, it will be plenty for the future i assume... right?

Actually you should check on the specs of the xms3500 vs. the xms3200 c2.
I seem to remember reading the 3500 is rated for slow memory timings and the 3200 c2 should be able to do 3500 with the same timings.

I would get the 3200 and save the money. Your fsb probably won't get that high to take advantage of the extra speed anyway. Also I would get the 512 so you will be set for the future. We all know how fast it seems you need to upgrade ram.

my .02
Kent

I opted for 2 sticks of 256 back in May when I bought my system. I'd like to be able to use this ram in Dual DDR boards in the future. I paid ~$180 for 2x256 pc2700 cas 2 at Newegg. Pay the extra few bucks and get the pc 3500 unless you're on a super-tight budget or can get an extra 20 gb of hd storage upgrade for the same amount.

2 sticks don't overclock as easily, though--that's true. However I'm at 150 fsb and cooking along...

hm..... how will this dual ddr stuff seem like? im anticipating this... i might just want to get 2x256 xms3200 or 3500... but people said that rdram didn't overclock well and that was dual channel too.... so will dual ddr also stink for ocing?

Here are the timings on the 3500- 2-4-4-8-T1.
The 3200 c2 is 2-3-3-6-T1. http://www.corsairmicro.com/xms/xms_modules.html

I don't belive dual channel ddr will be much less overclockable than single channel(no more than using 1x512 vs. 2x256). I have already seen it running at 185mhz on intel's gb and 175mhz on nvidia's NF2.

The current rumor is that intel gb board will only run at a 1:1 ratio but I wouldn't be suprised to see some vendors boards offer some asychronous settings.

save your money and don't buy more than 3200.....the highest mbo's now are 2700 and very few 3200...a 3200c2 stick should overclock wonderfully to 350 or more with the same slower timings as a normal 3500

That's a good question and I don't think anybody really knows. They are aimed at workstation people, and are Intel chipsets. I'd guess they'll go high at first... Maybe $130-140? And come down after that.

I've been hearing that they'll be out next month in the threads around this place, but, again, nobody seems to know for sure.

Whoa! The first 440 bx boards weren't THAT high! I'd be surprised if Granite Bay sold for MORE than $180. Of course, IDE RAID and SCSI controller would be more. You really think Intel's going to get more than $100 from a chipset? Volume would be very low.

That said, anything's possible. What's your reasoning behind that price estimate?

Just a guess, christmas, supply-demand.
I don't doubt the price will drop off fast but on the first shipments
the resellers will probably try to milk the consumers.

thanks nyte, i guess ill plan for a granite bay mobo, 2x256 xms3200 (prices are dropping pretty quickly) and still not sure on cpu depending on prices at the time..... any idea what mobo manufacturers will produce granite bay chipsets? im hoping abit will cause they usually are best for ocing and are cheap too...

Back