• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My system doesnt even know how much ram it has......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmigoThree

Ok well I have stuck with this problem for a while but now with UT2k3 out, I want all the ram I can get. I have 512MB of Crucial/Micron PC-2100 ram over 2 sticks. My motherboard is a Giga-byte GA7DXR. And my problem is that windows doesnt seem to want to recognize one of the sticks. I have my bios updated to the newest version (F9).

When I go into system information it displays that I have 256MB of Ram. But when I use Sandra it says that I have 2 slots with ram in them, 256MB each. When I first got my computer it displayed the ram as 512MB and I was getting a 3dmark score of about 6200. Now with video card overclocking, I got it up that high again. This makes me think that windows isnt using 1 of the sticks of ram. The change I guess happened when I took my PC to a repair man after I fried the motherboard, and CPU (long story). Then when I got it back it displayed as the current 256MB of ram. I am thinking maybe the motherboard too one of the sticks with it? But sandra still displays it......

So is there anything else that I can do before I trouble shoot to see if one of the sticks is bad and then have to send it back?

BTW I have windows XP

Yea that is my plan, I am just too lazy to do it if there is something else I can do because I dont really hvae any workspace in my room so I take in downstairs into my "dungeon" to work on computers, and well that is like 12 stairs and across the hall..... :p

Back