• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have a question plz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Talyn

Registered
ok i need advice on this please

i have 2 sticks of DDR ram
1 256 chip that can run 143mhz cas2.5 and 133 cas2 by fairchild
1 512 chip that can run 167mhz cas2.5 and 133 cas2, and this one is a corsair and thats what they say it will do

right now i have my system using all 768mb of the ram at cas 2.5 141mhz ddr (282mhz). with an athlon xp 2100+ so its running at 1833mhz :D so it benches slightly better than tbred 2200+

i am thinking about taking out the 256mb chip, and then running the 512 corsair chip at 174mhz cas2.5 so i get the same cpu overclock but with a higher memory speed, so i would end up with 282mhz FSB and 348mhz memory, but instead of 768 i would only have 512mb.
i dont know if it will work but im about to try it.
if it does work, which rig would be better?

isnt it better to have more ram even if it means i run slower, after all the FSB is going to stay the same and the memory being faster than the FSB really doesnt do a whole bunch for the system.

i would try for a higher FSB but for some reason i cant get past 141mhz on the fsb my cpu is locked and the highest vcore i can get is 1.85 cuz my mobo is a soyo platinum edition kt333. if i could get the FSB higher id do it, i have a coolermaster HHC-001 and artic sliver 3 and the highest temp my cpu has ever hit with it is 54c under load :D (i think thats good given the overclock and its under the highest voltage i can get it).
heat pipes work :D

i would really appreciate any insight from anyone on this, im leaning more toward having more ram for now but if going to 512 with higher speed would be better ill go to it instead.

thanks in advace for any replies :beer:

Last edited:
Back