• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLS HLP buying DDR mem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaruiz

Registered
I think I juyst narrowly dodged a bullet. I was about to buy some memory from OCSsystems (for about $140 memory that was rated at 5-2-2- 1T seemed like I couldn't go wrong)...afterreading a thread I investigated them a little closer and decided against it...so since money is a serious concern I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following which are from micropro.com
512MB OCZ PC2700 DDR333 Rev 3.2
CAS2 2-5-2 1T Timings; 512MB 333MHz $131
512MB Corsair PC2700 DDR333 CMX512-2700C2 $151

and from memory labs.net

512MB PC2700 DDR memory module.
Dram brands: WINBOND IC.
Module board: 6 layer.
IC Part # :W942508AH-6 & W942508BH-6 $119

512MB PC2700 DDR memory module.
Dram brands: Nanya IC
IC Part # : NT5DS32M8AT-6K $139

...I'm really leaning toward the OCZ but I haven't had any experiance with DDR memory and I don't know if the OCZ stuff is any good...I've herd good things about the Corsair, but is it worth the $20 premium???The generic Winbond from what I've heard uses the same chips as the Corsair if it's using the Bh-6 chips...right...but then there's no guareentee that it'll perform the same. if you have any experiance with either I'd appreciate aqny help...also I've never dealt with Micropro.com but thier ratings seem ok...not great not bad but the prices are great...I've had a lot of good luck with OCZ PC133...

Last edited:
run like the plague from anything from OCSYSTEM or OCZ... check this out:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1750.html

most of their memory is just rebaged memory from other manufactures that they just overclock and then slap their own label on... its rediculous, most of it cant even run at its rated speed and CAS levels...

now cosair on the other hand, DAMN good memory maker, i'd either go them or crucial, sure you pay alittle more, but at least you KNOW its going to work, and they have a lifetime warranty also!

if you're in the U.S. check out:

www.newegg.com
www.mwave.com
www.googlegear.com
www.tcwo.com

pls hlp buying ddr mem

THanks...I went back to the site I was originally going to order from and the corsair had gone up to $170 and the OCZ was $150....googlegear.com had the Crucial XMS PC3000 for $156 which was about the same price as the cheapest XMS PC2700 and far cheaper than other PC3000....so it was a no brainer...I figured it looks like memory prices are going up...I would'v liked to get the pc3200 BUT it was far too expensive everywhere...

I have 256 of 2100 PNY ram that is cas 2.5 and cl 2.5. MY XP 1800 is OC with a 150 FSB. Of course I cant run the memory at "turbo" settings on my Epox board with this memory. If I got DDR 333, CL2, CAS2 memory, how much of a performance increase would I see in a 3D Mark test? I mainly play games.

Next question is: Where is the best play to buy it? What is the cost? Will the CL2 CAS2 setting hold at 150 FSB?

Might I be better off spending the 150 bucks to get a faster CPU and just use CL2.5, CAS2.5 ram I have now?

Thanks for your advice.

Samoyed said:
I have 256 of 2100 PNY ram that is cas 2.5 and cl 2.5. MY XP 1800 is OC with a 150 FSB. Of course I cant run the memory at "turbo" settings on my Epox board with this memory. If I got DDR 333, CL2, CAS2 memory, how much of a performance increase would I see in a 3D Mark test? I mainly play games.

Next question is: Where is the best play to buy it? What is the cost? Will the CL2 CAS2 setting hold at 150 FSB?

Might I be better off spending the 150 bucks to get a faster CPU and just use CL2.5, CAS2.5 ram I have now?

Thanks for your advice.

depends on your processor, mobo, cooling, etc etc how much higher you could go.. but adding some nice high-quality RAM that would be able to do cas2 150+ would be a nice boost, especially if you could overclock your FSB more.

places to buy from you say?

www.newegg.com
www.googlegear.com
www.mwave.com
www.tcwo.com
www.nutrend.com

John

Mr Chambers:::

XP 1800
FSB 150
MB EPOX EP=8K3AE (KT 333)
2 fans blowing in, 4 out, case temp 77f, cpu 46c idle, 55c load

I am not interested in getting CL2 CAS2 memory to OC higher. Just to use in my system as is.

The only advantage that I see is that I would be able to run at the fastest memory settings in the bios called "turbo".

What is the 3DMark performance increase from doing this?

IF the memory is 150 bucks, wouldnt the 150 be better spent on getting an XP 2200 processor and using cheaper cl2.5 cas2.5 memory?

Seems to me that CL2 CAS2 memory is a luxury rather than neccessity.

Back