• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR /333/266...PC 133...Help ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rutro

Registered
I'm looking at a new mobo to upgrade to so I can get in on some P4 action. I'm interested in a Gigabyte 8SDX with the SiS 645/ 961 chipset. I'm reading that it supports DDR333/266 and PC133 .........this is where I'm confused , do all those different memory modules fit in the same DIMMs ? Or is each board configured for one or the other ? Isn't DDR 333/266 used in a 184pin DIMM and PC133 a 168pin DIMM ? The 8SDX comes with 3 168pin DIMMs...............

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the board, but there are SDram/DDR boards out there. So it is possible it takes both. DDR33/266 are basically the same thing but 333 can run at a faster speed, so there is no worries there.

EDIT: Since you are going for the P4, I would sugest getting some DDR 333 and forgeting about anything slower.

AAAA-HAAA, so there are combination boards. We are on a fixed income and I can't realy afford to get everything at once. Thats one of the reasons I was looking at this board, I've got a GA-6VTXE and I like the Gigabyte boards. If I could use the memory I've already got to start with it would help. Does anyone have any experence with this board or something like it ?

You could always try the Gigabyte website for faqs on the board.

Be careful when adding more ram though, I dont think you can use both types at the same time.

I have sent an E-Mail request for an answer but sometimes they don't reply in the same lifetime. No I wouldn't try to mix DDR and SDRAM , that might cause a midair crash ! I looked at their FAQs but as usual no joy, leaves a little to be desired I'm afraid.......

Back