• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using WinXP : 512 MB Enough to disable swap file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rizge

i domn't do any 3d max,photo shop....and that stuff
only gaming(UT2003,Empire Earth and so on and i-surfing)
when surfing have no more than 12 IE open with winamp

Id tell you no, dont bother turning the swap file off. Windows runs better with it on even if u have 2 gigs of ram.....its just how windows works. Set the swapfiles to anywere from 350=500 to ge teh best preformance out of games ext....... hope i helped ya out

[XPerienceD] said:
Isn't it better to set the swap file as the "system managed size?"

No, our "beloved" windows waste to much time resizing it while applications loads, is better to set it manually to a fix parameter, I recomend 2 times the amount of memory if you have less than 256 Mb or same amount as you go up
Kintaro Oe

ok guys
i've disabled it since yesterday and winxp is flying...
the maximum memory used while playoing games and stuff(ut2003,ee, etc..) is about 200 megs
so i still have at least 250 megs to play about with

Isn't it better to set the swap file as the "system managed size?"

it is best to set it your self, and to set the minimum and maximum to the same value - this apparently reduces fragmentation alot. I have my swap file on its own partition and winxp runs fine.

512 is a little low I think to be disabling it, and some programs may require page filing turned on before windows lets them run (although I suspect very few do this these days)

Yeah really. What could possibly cause you to want swap file off? It's not like half a gig of swap file will take away all your hard drive space.

i got a problem with swap file and without it:
System reserved Space in my hard (as displayed in Diskeeper) is about 7 gig
HOW CAN I FIX THAT?

7? I thought its limit was 4? or does it work in relation to the size of your harddisk...but if you set the maximum size of your page file to something considerably less then its happy days...hopefully :)

Back