• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory or motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technician

I recently put in 1.5gb of Kingston PC133 memory in my Abit KT7A-RAID (max supported). The computer ran o.k. for a little while, then it started crapping out until I defaulted all the memory settings in BIOS and set my CPU FSB to 200MHz instead of 233MHz. Even then it still locked up whenever I played games, but at least Win2k loaded.

Now I've taken out the stick that was in my third socket and everything seems fine. I can run the ram pretty hard in BIOS, keep my 233 FSB, etc. w/out any problems (so far, 2 hrs. of gaming and no problems). I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it's a bad stick of Kingston, or if my mobo just doesn't like all the RAM. I did update the BIOS to the latest version from the Abit website too. Any ideas?

Probably the motherboard dosen't like that much memory installed.
Take out another stick and put the one you took back in it's place and see if it still runs ok.

Nuts, I hope it's not the mobo, but I guess I deserve it for thinking it would support all that RAM.

I'll try the stick in a slot that I know works, or actually just run the stick by itself and see what happens, as you mentioned...

Placid said:
Probably the motherboard dosen't like that much memory installed.
Take out another stick and put the one you took back in it's place and see if it still runs ok.

Thats not true, I've seen many people use 1.5GB in there KT7A motherboards. It all depends on the brand name and how hard you are driving your memory!

At $75, I'm gonna get me some more memory! I'm using Infenion memory.

DS-Master

Well excuse me then. Help him solve his problem.
Seems like what I said will help determine if it's the memory or motherboard maybe I am wrong about that too.

Ok, a friend of mine says that your Ram type/brand is the problem and timings become unstable which makes you have to relax the ram just to get things going.

Really, the only way your gonna get 1.5GB in that rig is to get some really clean high quality brand name memory. Crucial makes very good sticks of PC133 that are very cheaply priced.

If I ever get the chance to get out to the store, I'll pick up a third stick and let you know how it works out for me.

Placid,
Dont take it wrong man, I dont mean it that way. Hey its just that I'm a little freaky with this board and kinda know it soo far in and out kinda like Sonny :).

DS-Master

DS-Master said:

Really, the only way your gonna get 1.5GB in that rig is to get some really clean high quality brand name memory.
DS-Master

That is because the motheboard dosen't like that much memory installed.

It has more to do with the motherboards memory controller and chipset than the memory, that's why you need to use clean high quality memory when you use large amounts that is easier for the controller/chipset to run without error.

Crucial site say's
Important information about your system
When installing more than 512MB total, the MD drive strength must be set low in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Is it the amount of memory or just using that third slot? I've heard that you can plug in more it's just that alot of MOBOS freak if they have to access all three banks (though why they would even put three if that's the case I have no idea)

DWolf:cool:

Back