• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RIMM3200 , 4200 or 4800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

Does anyone know if there will be any reason to buy anything more than the RIMM3200. I can get Rimm4800 but i'm wondering if there is any definite performance difference in the 3 while using a 533 fsb Northwood. Of course i'll be overclocking it.

Another question about RDRAM is i tested my bandwidth via SiSoft Sandra and it gives me around 2500 using PC800. The thing is why doesn't it report a bandwidth of 3200 for which it's rated for. I also noticed in the results of memory bandwidth test it says i'm running at 77% efficiency?

I dont know much about this but what are you ram timing ? try making them more aggrsive if the board allows probabl? right ?

Burning Phoenix said:
Does anyone know if there will be any reason to buy anything more than the RIMM3200. I can get Rimm4800 but i'm wondering if there is any definite performance difference in the 3 while using a 533 fsb Northwood. Of course i'll be overclocking it.

Another question about RDRAM is i tested my bandwidth via SiSoft Sandra and it gives me around 2500 using PC800. The thing is why doesn't it report a bandwidth of 3200 for which it's rated for. I also noticed in the results of memory bandwidth test it says i'm running at 77% efficiency?

RIMM3200 and 4200 are 32bits Rambus modules. If you are running a 533Mhz FSB cpu, the RIMM4200 is the best choice, as it will allow you to run FSB and RAM in sync at full speed.

If you're going to OC even higher, the Samsung branded CN9 (aka 32ns) sticks are the best- and the more recent the build, the better your chances. I would not put my money on "PC4800" or otherwise shadiliy advertised memory.

If you're looking for 16bits RDRAM, the corresponding name is PC1066, but the same advice applies: stick to Samsung.

Burning Phoenix said:
OCZ technology produces the newer RIMM4800 memory and as far as i know noone else does yet. I can get from various web sites this memory at about $170 for 256 meg.

This is a link to thier site for Rimm4800

OCZ is a *known* shady business. They sell overclocked ram for a premium, and the products have been known to fail to reach their advertised stably. Like I said: stay away from this type of product!

Back