• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my memory dying??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sangram

I've had the config below for just under a year or so.

Recently my system started to become unstable. IT's never been OC'ed, volt-modded etc. Just stock config with lots of optimisations in BIOS, fastest timings, etc.

For the last week or so, my system's started to become unstable. Wierd memory errors, lock-ups and freezes in both Win2K and 98SE, games locking up.

Suddenly the computer started showing only 128 MB memory.

I reseated the modules and started up, but the thing kept freezing, this time with 256 MB. Removed one of the modules, it worked fine. No lockups, freezes, smooth as silk. Put the module back in, machine wouldn't boot up.

Placed it in another slot, machine would still not boot up. Removed, cleaned, reseated, bumped up voltage to 2.6, machine works fine now.

I'm not going to run it at 2.6, and I've already contacted my vendor for a replacement as it's still within warranty. I've arrived at a few scenarios:

1. The power supply is not putting out enough voltage. It's the newest of the components, and could be a problem.

2. The mobo does not like two modules together at full speed settings and 2.5 Volts

3. One mem stick is failing (I'm gonna runa solo test with the suspect module tonight)

Any other heads-ups or potential causes that I need to work on? Will 2.6 damage my RAM if used for long?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to reset at default in the bios to see if something got tweaked the wrong way by mistake. Then try to tweak one thing at a time to see what caused the problem

I hadn't changed anything in the BIOS before the problems started, it had been running OK for over two months.

I ran the full set of regular diagnostics and it seems to be running OK now. Strange. I still haven't changed anything in the BIOS.

I bumped the volts back down to 2.5. Ran fine with one stick. Ran games for about two hours. No problems. Put in the second stick. Ran for another two hours, no problems. Wierd. I could of sworn there was a bad time in the middle. Last night surfed, checked mail (no games, though), and the Blue screens didn't come back.

I'll run some memtest and see how it goes.

Back