• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you feel is better? 1 Stick or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One stick...only by three or 4 shakes though :)

I tested for this and the differnece when using same brand same sizes. You can't tell

One stick:
Pros...
1) If OCing, one stick isn't holding the other back from a higher FSB
2) Leaves more DIMS open for future use

Cons...
1) It's always nice to have a extra stick incase you suspect a faulty module

Both have advantages since this is a one or the other without being specific as to type of memory or better for what I will say
two because if one stops working your system won't be unuseable until you can get a replacement.

I'm partial to the one stick, not only for the minor performance differences, but it keeps your other slots open for when memory prices drop to pennies a meg(I can dream).

Mushkin HiPerf Cas2-2-2 PC 2700

Ideally I would say 1 stick, but I'm running 2 and appears to make no difference performace wise and like has already been said, I like the idea of having a "backup" if a stick craps out

I usually go for one stick on the theory that it will OC better (no memory conflict). Might draw slightly less juice as well, but that is a wild guess:D

I really don't worry about failures too much- considering what I put my computers through, not much breaks! And if a really vital pc ends up with a dead stick of ram, I have more........

In my brief experience with my Corsair (see sig) I'm getting just as good of timings with 2 sticks than when I just had one.

Of course, I can only talk about the range of 188 FSB and below, since past that, I get AGP issues which I think is completely my Radeon's fault (not ram or anything else).

I prefer 2 sticks, because of the redundency factor. Like stated above, if one module is bad, you can still run at 256 till you get a repacement. If you only have one stick, you're kinda out of luck till you get a replacement. For overclocking purposes, I haven't seen a difference between having 2 sticks instead of one.

CrystalMethod said:
I prefer 2 sticks, because of the redundency factor. Like stated above, if one module is bad, you can still run at 256 till you get a repacement. If you only have one stick, you're kinda out of luck till you get a replacement. For overclocking purposes, I haven't seen a difference between having 2 sticks instead of one.

So it is no longer considered that 2 sticks will hold you back?

If you think about it though, if you have two sticks, there's a better chance that one of them won't OC as well. And then you have asynchronous (sp?) performance in memory. I don't know what the results of that would be, though...

Granted no two sticks are exactly alike, even from the same company.

But if you take stuff like Corsair which is hand-picked (supposedly) and rated to be top of the line, chances are you'll do extremely well with 2 sticks.

1 stick as the more you have in your computer the less stable it becomes and you hvae to scale the FSB down as a result.

Even if all sticks are good to X FSB, when running 2 sticks you can only get X- 5 FSB and when running 3 stick X - 12FSB for example.

But a system speed will be the same at X FSB if you have 1 stick or RAM or 4 sticks, its just that you X FSB will be lower the more sticks of RAM you have.

This is just my past experience speeking...
and that is even with identical RAM from the same batch

jay said:
1 stick as the more you have in your computer the less stable it becomes and you hvae to scale the FSB down as a result.

Even if all sticks are good to X FSB, when running 2 sticks you can only get X- 5 FSB and when running 3 stick X - 12FSB for example.

But a system speed will be the same at X FSB if you have 1 stick or RAM or 4 sticks, its just that you X FSB will be lower the more sticks of RAM you have.

This is just my past experience speeking...
and that is even with identical RAM from the same batch

Hmm...so when you run more than 2 sticks, the loss isn't proportional. Guess I'll stick to one stick, unless I get an nForce 2 :D

Back