• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Can't Remember

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stepper

Registered
What would be a good (512mb) memory choice for a Soyo KT333 & AMD XP2100? Sometime this year...whenever I get to it...I will unlock the chip...so please base your replies with that in mind...uP to a point...price is not a consideration.

~~Stepper~~

A Man of Wealth & Taste

Outta my mind...back in 5 min...

I love my crucial memory. It's dependable and it handles high OCing. You would go for DDR PC2700, because your mem bus will be running with a base FSB of 166 (333MHz).

Corsair and Crucial are two of the best brands for memory(though most people here recommend Corsair XMS, because they are supposed to be handpicked chips). If price is no option, you should get PC3200 CAS2, so at least you will be set if you ever need to get the fsb past 166 and still want those good timings.

Another reason that corsair is more popular is that it has pc2700 (ddr333) and pc3200 (ddr400.) Micron is just now releasing its first pc2700 chips. (note: If you see a website selling pc3200 micron, RUN far away very quickly!) Corsair has now released a pc3500 chip, (ddr433) the first of that speed that is known to run reliably.
Samsung makes pc2700 and now is starting to make pc3200, and these chips are OK, too. There's nothing wrong with winbond chips, either. But right now, corsair is your best bet. And if you are unlocking and increasing the FSB, you'll want at least pc3200. (pc3500 speeds on that board are unlikely.)

Thanx Guys...lookin at the posts...the score seems 2 B tied...two for Corsair and 2 4 Crucial...someone break the tie...I plan 2 order on Monday...

Stepper said:
Thanx Guys...lookin at the posts...the score seems 2 B tied...two for Corsair and 2 4 Crucial...someone break the tie...I plan 2 order on Monday...

Actually I was taking the impartial route, but when I buy a new system I plan to get Corsair XMS 3200, so either way you look at it, the vote goes to Corsair 2 to 1, or 3 to 1 ;)

Do Ya Know...

...kewl...since I'm in a buyin mood...do U know of any good stores or sites with decent prices for that...

Re: Do Ya Know...

Stepper said:
...kewl...since I'm in a buyin mood...do U know of any good stores or sites with decent prices for that...

Not sure anymore about good deals. I know about month ago, Spartantech.com had the XMS 3200 512MB CAS2 ram for $185, but now the price went up about $30. Newegg.com has them for $208. Wherever you get it though, make sure you get the CAS2 ram and not the 2.5, which is usually a few dollars cheaper than the 2.

Thanx 4 the headz uP Tiypcol...I'v got a brand new system...and I can't get any numbers that I wanna see from the memory...I want to order something really soon...so that I'll have it by this time next week.

ok folks...I'm now the proud owner of 2 sticks of 512mb corsair XMS PC3200 cas2...any suggestions as to the settings for some kick *** numbers...
The AMD XP2100 is still locked down right now...I can't see well enough to unlock the L1 connectors...I'll find someone with better eyesight to help with that...soon I hope...cause I've only got 7 daze to return the memory...unless I get an offer...so limme know some timing numbers for this system...

Uh, bad news, stepper.... the 2100XP cannot be unlocked without CUTING a bridge. This problem does not affect other athlon xp processors. You'd be wiser to sell this and get one you CAN easily unlock than to try to cut the bridge yourself.

Sorry for the bad news.

The good news is this chip will sell for about $110 on ebay, and you can get a brand new 2200XP for $145 or a 2400XP for $195... and these can be unlocked for use in your motherboard by connecting only one bridge. They'll overclock a LOT further, too. (you can only expect 100-300mhz with your 2100, these will do about 200-300mhz above their already higher default speeds.)

And yes, your motherboard will support these. I already checked.

Last edited:
You don't have to cut any bridges on Palomino 2100+. All you have to do is connect the L1 bridges and then connect these pins on the back of the chip. I suggest using some kind of conductive paint instead of actually wire modding them together. After doing that you should be able to get all the multipliers from 5-12.5

Whoa Caffinehog...I am totally sic...talk about takin a dump on someone's parade...dayuummm...this 'TOY' has become a nightmare...I've got a '69 Camaro that I hotrodded for 10 years before it got way too fast for me...I think I'll fire it uP and take a real fast ride...anyone wanna buy some computer parts...CHEAP!?!...

Hold up, man... don't give up just yet. You can rescue this for $55! Go to newegg.con and buy a 1600XP. It's less than $55, unlockable, and if you get an AGOIA or AROIA stepping, (VERY good chance,) it'll hit 2100XP speeds or more. Then go sell that 2100XP for twice what your new chip cost. Or keep it for another machine.

I jus burned uP $400.00 on some memory that will do me no good what so ever...I really do appreciate Ur benevolence...but right now at this very minute...my arse is draggin...

Back