• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed from 2x128 to 1x256 setting --> pifast time went up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

breez

Today my friend bought 256MB PC133 stick of memory. It was singlesided memory and only half of the memory showed up on his Abit BE6. He asked me if I could trade my 2 sticks of 128MB PC133 for his newly bought stick. I was like, sounds a good deal I will get more memoryslots open! But then I remembered I have BE6 too! Well I made it this way: Took out a doublesided 256MB stick out of my dads computer (KT7A, takes singlesided 256) to my computer and put the friends stick to my dads computer. I gave my friend my 2x128 sticks and he was happy.

Now later I tried pifast and time was 60-62 secs. Previously my time was 55-56 seconds with the two 128 sticks in. Memory settings are the same, 124MHz 2-2-2. I thought one stick was supposed to be faster than two sticks!

256MB stick that my friend bought was Kingston.
2 sticks of 128MB were Spectek.
The stick inside now is "Green Memory". It is spec'd for 7 ns. Specteks were 7.5 ns and Kingston probably 7.5 ns.

1 stick isn't faster as two sticks, with 2 'Identical' sticks you can 'turn on' 4-way interleaving which is faster than 2-way interleaving.

'turn on' = Some boards use it automaticly, on some boards you need to set it in BIOS and on some boards you'll need to use WPCRSET.(or something like that).

Hmm, I thought the 4-way interleaving was just for some newer boards. My board is BE6 with damn old, but legendary BX-chipset! Could someone confirm if my board supports 4-way interleaving or no?

Back