• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about upcoming memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxer

I'm building a new PIV system and wanted to know (I haven't kept up with computer technology in the past three months or so):

1) When is dual DDR coming out?
2) 32ns pc1066 RDRAM is faster than pc3200 DDR with aggressive timings, right? (i'm not talking about when dual DDR comes out, talking about right now)
3) When dual DDR comes out, will you be able to use existing DDR sticks (say Corsair pc3200) and current processor? (i.e. all you would have to do to upgrade to dual DDR is get a new motherboard)
4) What will be the speed of dual DDR in a PIV system (lets use pc3200 as an example) and what is the speed of dual pc1066 RDRAM (I forget)?

Thanks. Basically, i'm asking these questions because I forgot a few things in my absence and I will be building a new computer. If dual DDR is coming out soon and you would just have to replace your MB for it, then i'm most likely going to build a DDR PIV system. If dual DDR is not faster than RDRAM or is not coming out anytime soon, then i'm going with RDRAM, as I have always been a fan.

EDIT: Also, I would like to add, that this computer will not be overclocked at all. I want complete silence (I will probably just have a few variable speed fans).

Thanks. ;)

1- They say dual ddr should be out sometime between now and the end of the year. Personally, I haven't seen any particularly good reports about dual ddr chipsets out there. But I'll take their word for it.

2- 32bit pc1066 is faster than pc3200. It's nominal transfer rate is 4266MB/s (compared to 3200). Even if you gave the pc3200 the best timings possible and the rdram the worst, it should still be somewhat faster.

3- You can use pretty much any DDR. In fact you'll be better off with pc2100 and 2700 in a dual DDR motherboard. Even if the board happens to support pc3200, that much bandwidth really won't do you any good.

4- If you had dual pc3200, the nominal speed is 6400MB/s (the effective speed would probably be closer to 5500). As I said the rated bandwidth for pc1066 is around 4200.

Thanks for the reply! Right now it looks as if i'll be going with a gigabyte GA-8IHXP and 512mb (2x 256mb) of pc1066 Samsung RDRAM.

I will be keeping everything at spec so this seems to be the way to go. Those answers were very useful :)

Back