• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get this thing stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadseasquirrel

Registered
Prime95 kicks me after 1 or 2 tests.

XP1600+ AGOIA 0222 4 at 166fsb, 1.85v core, 2.8v dimm, "fastest" timings
Epox 8k5a2
512mb Samsung 2700 from newegg
Thermalright sk7

No stability problems in games that I have seen or any apps... but I wanna pass Prime with flying colors if possible.

I've tried settings all up and down the charts, but nothing has given me anything that passes Prime.

Just in case my Samsung didn't like voltage too high, I took it down to defaults 1.75, 2.5, normal. Wouldnt boot without being at 1.8v. Still no stable Prime there either.

Temps are a tad high-- 50C-53C under load. Plan on cooling that down a lot with a higher cfm fan soon... but could that cause the instability I'm seeing in Prime?? I figured I would see instability elsewhere too if it was temp-related.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

deadseasquirrel

just an fyi

i just unlocked my processor... i couldn't get prime to pass 166 without downing my multiplier. i was amazed at how much it helped. i dropped it down to 9.5 i can get and fsb up to 180 with my samsung at default.. can't hit 175 with it at turbo.. but by upping the vdimm to get it stable at cas2 my temps get too high... so i kinda got more questions now than i did before i unlocked...yes unlocking is worth it.. btw i got the 8k5a2+...changed my sig today and forgot to put that in

oh btw... i got a 48cfm ystech on my ax7 the temps were at 40c under load when i was unlocked...still couldn't pass prime....so i doubt the temps are the issue but yeah they are kinda high

deadseasquirrel, got your cpu unlocked? While I've heard of some 1600+ OCed very high, if its not unlocked you may be pushing it too hard.

Unlocking lets you separate overclocking the fsb-memory from the cpu so that you can get the fsb stable after which you can work the cpu issue separately. :cool:

naw, not unlocked. my hands shake like a crack addict so i'm pretty sure thats a no-go for me.

think the turbo timings would help? i dont wanna push my ram too hard, but i bought good ram for a reason. anyone know the limits for true samsung 2700?

is it a good idea to push voltage any higher than it is already (1.85v and 2.8v)?

deadseasquirrel

With your mobo and the fsb multipliers, a fsb=133 is the same as fsb=166 except async versus sysnc memory. Below 166 the fsb multiplier is 5/4 and at or above 166 the multiplier is one. Thus, (133)*5/4 = 166. The point being that at 166 you aren't running your memory any harder than at 133.

I don't think that using higher mem settings will help solve the problem. In the long term you want to run the higher mem settings but they can in some cases create problems too. But, your memory should be able to handle them at 166. I've not used Samsung so can't comment on voltages for it.

Thus IMO, it is most likely your problems are with the cpu. Got a friend that could unlock it for you? It is scary the first time around but I tried and failed several dozen times on my 2100 (which is harder to do than a 1600) with no ill effects, other than embarassment! I usually don't admit it in public. :cool:

listen buddy my hands are shakier than well shaky and i weld for a living...i went to unlock this thing the other night.. took me two hours before i thought i had it right.. btw the unlocking kit comes with a magnifying glass to help.. i had t go get a pointier needle though the one that comes with this kit is too wide but besides that its really worth it.. 12 bucks for all this added performance...i don't care if it took me twelve i woulda done it... just make sure you got a bunch or rubbing alchohol around to clean off the processor when you mess up

i hear ya, chief. i'm glad you had the patience and tenacity to make it happen for ya. but, being that i'm a jackass of enormous proportion, i know i will screw it up beyond repair. i'm afraid i just won't have the patience.

and, unfortunately, dont have any friends/family that could do it either (i'm actually the tech support for friends and family... scary thought, huh?).

i would be willing to drop some coin for someone to hook me up though. maybe i'll give it a shot one day. hell, my computer is at 166fsb and stable enough for me. doesn't run prime, but it runs hitman2 like a mofo.

deadseasquirrel

Back