• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would more RAM help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Okay, because of tonight's CiDial incident, I think one of the items on my Christmas list will be another PC133 RAM stick.

My question is, is it worth it?

I've got 256MB right now. During idle time (nighttime and daytime when I'm at school) I'll have KazaaLite, Trillian, CiDial, keyboard thingy, and SETI running along with 2kPro. It *seems* to run okay...

But lately I've been running lots of games and other things at one time, and I'm noticing alot more grinding and HDD activity, especially while I'm alt-tabbed out of The Sims. (All xpaks = resource hog.) I check TaskMan, and it tells me 50% of my RAM is consumed, most of it being the swap file.

So if RAM would help, how much should I get? Keep in mind I also run 98SE occasionally for GTA3 and other old-school DOS things, so I don't want to go overboard with it. Does 768MB sound good? Another 512?

Back