• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better 8 or 16 chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notguilty

Registered
I have 2 sticks of crucial pc2100,the first stick has 8 chips and I seemed to have a lot of difficulty oc'ing with this.yesterday I bought another stick,but it has 16 chips and in the same system by itself(w/o the other stick)I can higher fsb with better memory settings no problem.my question is this because of the # of chips and if so why?thanks for any insight.:)

thanks LT.Max.another ?.I see your avatar is removed ,earlier a signature was removed,is this the work of hackers?

Lt. Max said:
the 8 chip stick is more dense tehrefore the more difficult overclocking..

I've heard this many times too, but I've never personally had any problems with my 256MB one-sided 8chip or 16chip two-sided sticks of memory.

Lt. Max said:
the 8 chip stick is more dense tehrefore the more difficult overclocking..

thats a poor reason.

the athlonxp throughbred b 2400+ (0.13micron) is more dense than the 1600+ (0.18micron), therfore the 2400+ is more difficult to overclock? i dont think so.

i have heard that some motherboard have problems regestering 8 chip ram-boards, but iv'e never heard of overclocking problems with them

Back