• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when OCing why 133 over 166?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

I was told to set my ram to 133 instead of 166 when overclocking. Of course, this works and I can get higher fsb's with the ratio at 1:1. Why is this?

I believe he's asking why should he set the RAM ratio to 1:1 and not FSB + 33.
First of all you will be able to get higher FSBs, and when the RAM is running higher than the FSB the performance gain is neglectible. so running 1:1 ratio will yield better performance, because of the much higher FSB speeds that is achievable. But when you run at FSB + 33 your RAM runs 33MHz faster, and therefore might limit your overclock by at least 33MHz FSB

The Coolest said:
I believe he's asking why should he set the RAM ratio to 1:1 and not FSB + 33.
First of all you will be able to get higher FSBs, and when the RAM is running higher than the FSB the performance gain is neglectible. so running 1:1 ratio will yield better performance, because of the much higher FSB speeds that is achievable. But when you run at FSB + 33 your RAM runs 33MHz faster, and therefore might limit your overclock by at least 33MHz FSB

I see, Thanks :D

Back