• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram HCLK question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itizme

When bumping my bios fsb do I effect the ram??
Original settings were for a 100fsb Cel with pc133 running at HCLK+33
Already bumped the bios to 110 and all seems well, however I am not sure if there is an adverse or positive effect to the ram.
Is it now running at 143?
at what point should I set it at HCLK and match the speed of the processor?

I'm not sure how your motherboard handles HCLK+33. Some mobo's are actually HCLK+PCI, and there is a difference. As you said HCLK+33 with 110 FSB would be 143, while HCLK+PCI with 110 FSB would be 147 (110*4/3 due to 1/3 PCI multiplier).

I would say use the HCLK+33 until your memory cannot keep up. Also, you could try benchmarking with the memory at this speed and at the FSB speed, and see which gives you better scores.

Thanks Edward2!!
did a little more tweaking, added another 10 to the fsb and dropped down to host clock speed on the ram
Gained another couple hundred on the 3dmark score and seem stable at this time.
I remembered a blue screen memory dump error message from last night, so the info you have offered has very likely helped me continue my learning curveS
The braver I can get the more I better save to bail myself out
lol
Ciao

That is a good one I must admit. Been stung more than once so the old main drive is a 20, the back up is an 80yet I have still been stung by no ability to use safe mode and admin to recover
Carp happens but I still have all of those pictures of my Goddess from the last several years on a hard drive or two (one would think I would burn a cd if I was not a blonde)

Back