• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insane memory prices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Serraph

I was planning on buying two sticks of pc3200 xms corsair 256 meg ram but about 2 weeks ago the price went from $98 to $118 all of the sudden one day and now it's up to $123 (prices from newegg). I really wish I had bought them when they were $98 but it seems like the price is actually rising! :mad: Does anyone have any information about when prices will likely drop back to the 100 range?

Not untill people stop buying ram and its becomes no-rare once again.

At this rate, were going to have to start all over again. I mean with the waiting and all with the ram prices to slowly go down. It will take at least a year before prices are back to or lower than low was before.

BTW, SD-Ram is at an all time low ($75 for 512MB and thats canadian ($47 American)

OC-Master

Actually this quarter a DDR shortage is predicted. It's expected to get better at the start of next year. I think it has to do with the Christmas season coming up.

That's bad news. Well I guess I can wait to buy the memory while I mod my case which should be done by Nov. 25. I'm planning on getting a epox nforce2 8rda+ motherboard and to increase the FSB to 200+. Will buying 2x256 pc3200 xms have any performance gain over 1x512 pc3200 xms? I hear that there is no point in using the dual ddr setup because the processor can't even utilize the extra memory bandwidth that it provides. I'm planning on running the memory:cpu at 1:1.

will the ddr prices drop by march or april next year? i was planning to get 512mb of pc3200 xms at that time... its risin by like 30 friggin bucks or sumtin.... its starting to come down a tiny bit though. just keep the hopes up.

nice.... i also saw some other site, it was a really random small site that had it for around that price too. c'mon newegg help us out here!!!

Does anybody remember when 128 Mb of PC100 was going for $200? I mean c'mon people it's not that bad... In '99 I bought 128 Mb PC133 for $105 and that was a good deal... then this year, back in Jan, I bought three sticks of 256Mb Micron PC133... for $20 a piece shipped! Now the price is almost back to that point LOL, but for 256 Mb of PC2700, $89 for samsung, $95 for Crucial, or $101 for XMS (all newegg prices), that's not that bad.

People have grown spoiled with cheap computer parts.

Serraph said:
That's bad news. Well I guess I can wait to buy the memory while I mod my case which should be done by Nov. 25. I'm planning on getting a epox nforce2 8rda+ motherboard and to increase the FSB to 200+. Will buying 2x256 pc3200 xms have any performance gain over 1x512 pc3200 xms? I hear that there is no point in using the dual ddr setup because the processor can't even utilize the extra memory bandwidth that it provides. I'm planning on running the memory:cpu at 1:1.

completely wrong, dual ddr pc2700 is good enough to feed up a p4, but more than that is nonesense as you say. Also, current athlonxps are easily fed with single pc2700 agressive timings, so i guess thats why jedec is taking so long to release ddr400 pc3200 ram specs.

And ram is expensive now because we gamers now need 512mb of memory at least, 768 to get rid of the swap file, thats why 256mb stick prices remain stable while 512mb keep raising...

I think that googlegear is better than newegg when buying memory because of its wide selection and cheaper prices.

Back