• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Ok I have my mobo and I have the chance to get some new ram. All my mobos specs say is that is takes 2.5 v DDR. What type is this? I already have ddr 2100 in it. My mobo is the MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU. Could I get faster RAM? such as 2400+ would this even make a difference in proformance?

all ddr runs at 2.5volts.

also, the ram only runs at what the motherboard tells it to - so getting ddr 2700 or faster wont make any difference at all (well mabey very slightly but you wont notice it) unless you plan to overclock

Big_Baller868 said:
Ok I have my mobo and I have the chance to get some new ram. All my mobos specs say is that is takes 2.5 v DDR. What type is this? I already have ddr 2100 in it. My mobo is the MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU. Could I get faster RAM? such as 2400+ would this even make a difference in proformance?

Technically, your mobo only supports PC2100, BUT, that doesn't mean you can only use that. 2.5v is pretty standard, but can usually be adjusted in the bios, if needed. You should easily be able to use PC2400, and probably even PC2700/DDR333....though I doubt w/that board if you'll be getting the full potential of the PC2700, I'd save yourself a little cash and get the 2400....or maybe even just try overclocking that PC2100 and sometimes you can make it run even as fast as the 2700...honestly, I'd just keep the 2100 for now, put the cash for memory into a BETTER MOTHERBOARD, then OC the $hit out of that PC2100....then save up for some PC3500. But that's just my opinion. :D

Hey thx. Well it turns out that I wont be able to get any ram for cheap so I wont be getting anything new. Thx anyways. I will be upgrading my computer but later I just spent about 200 on a refriderated water cooler. I am gettin pretty low temps here :D Overclocking is of course on my mind in the near future.

Back