• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR...is it causing my prob?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pentachromium

Hey,
I have the Gigabyte 7vrxp and samsung 333DDR and i recently set the timings to cas2 and 1t, the computer worked fine for the first few boots, but now i can't do anything before it boots to windows i get the following error:

The following file is missing or corrupt:
windows\system32\config\system

is this being caused by the memory? it doesn't seem like it would, any ideas?

Also, i recently overclocked and my system hasn't been teh same quite since, i've had to clear the CMOS and reformat, i think i may have broke something, although i was only running [email protected] / 54Celcius / 150FSB

I was o/cing my memory just yesterday and got a similar message. As I am typing this, w2k is re-installing. Usually means a corrupted hdd, but nothing that can't be fixed. Just reformat and reinstall.

k, thats what i was thinking too, but i just can't see a reason why memory timing would mess with your HD, but i would see FSB causing problems

its cool though, thanx for the advice

yeah...I was wondering the same thing....but thats what seemed to have caused my problem. I've had my fsb higher without corruption, so I would guess that it must have had to do with the memory.

I have seen that message more times than I can count:)

When I push just a little bit too hard on my fsb overclocking....BAM!

If it is a very small increase than the drive doesn't seem to actually corrupt- its just that the speed is too great for reliable read/writes. A reboot at lower FSB will fix that.
When I go a too far the drive does get corrupted and need an OS re-install.

Thats why I do my major overclocking with very little on the system: once I know the general area I can get things running at installing more software becomes an option again. ( I usually get that message at least a half dozen times when I first build a new pc for OCing:D)

Memory is working storage for the cpu. Anytime the contents of RAM are corrupted damaged data can be written back to the hard disk. Most assuradely your corrupted windows file is result of pushing the RAM too far. This is a very minor consequence, as it's just software. If it wasn't just a consequence of pushing the RAM past its limits you would be talking about a hard drive failure. Just because you'd like to think the RAM is capable of sustaining operation at the more agressive settings doesn't influence the reality of the situation. The changes you made to the memory timing are the cause, and the corrupted windows file is the result. You may be able to replace the file itself and avoid a re-install, or it may take a fresh windows to correct the matter (and others that may exist but don't show up as you enter windows). In any event if you continue to run the new memory timings you will be doing the reinstall thing very often.

Back