• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

different sticks of ddr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elekt

im kind of a newbie when it comes to ram, i already have 256 of ddr ram, and i am wondering if i need to match the ram, like brandwise for an upgrade? does differing speeds in different sticks of ram matter?

I'd suggest getting an identical stick however it isn't necessary. I'd do it just to avoid any potential problems between brands (although I doubt there are any). Also, if you've got PC2100, don't buy another speed. Stick to whatever you've already got.

~THT

This is kinda revelant. What would happen if you had say...a 256 and a 512 of the same speed. Wuld it make a difference? I only ask this b/c I am pondering over getting a 512.

running 512 and a 256 of the same speed may change the oc you get as differnet brand will give you different oc's and also you can get slightly worse performance when running two sticks, but currently you not overclocking so this wouldn't effect you. There is also a very small chance that you could get errors by running two diferent brand sticks but this is unlikly.

Ya but i was hearing that it was very demeaning to the performance. Not like just a little that I had heard of of having just 2 sticks.

could have two different speeds like pc2100 and pc2400 have problems in sandra soft when benching

Back