• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr vs sdr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

q149

i noticed that namebrand 2100 ddr and pc133 sdr costs about the same amount for twice as much sdr or half as much ddr, im making a pc for my friend with a k7s5a and was wondering if half as much ddr would be faster than twice as much sdr.............. thx

Miknow said:
Well to me I may not be right I use ddr on my rigs for gaming ddr is faster

DDR is just faster period ;)

PC100 SDRAM : 100 MHz x 8 Bytes = 800 MB/s = 0.8 GB/s

PC133 SDRAM : 133 MHz x 8 Bytes = 1064 MB/s = 1.064 GB/s

DDR pc2100 Up to 2.1 GB/sec

It looks twice as fast on paper but in reality I believe the average increase(depending on the application) from pc133 to ddr pc2100 is 21% or so, comparing pc133 to pc2100.

what you got to ask yourself is whether you see the price difference as worth...if your friend isnt a hardcore computer user and would overclock just to get an extra point on 3dmark...then DDR is for you, if he isnt that bothered and cost is the main issue of the system then SD would be more suited

I have to agree with the previous statement. It is a cost benefit anaylsis. If the benefit of an extra point is worth the cost go for it. If not, don't. Another question is how often does your friend upgrade? If this person, is always wanting the next best thing, but asks you to do it, I would go with DDR because it might live through a motherboard upgrade; but, it is all relative because computer speeds double every 18 months.

fUzZ bUnNy

thnx for the help, i think im goign to get him ddr since he might want to upgrade his mobo sometime and not really any new mobos support sdr anymore ..thx

Back