• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial @ 166 MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

I have a stick of Crucial PC2100 256 MB... I hear that this can run at 166 MHz FSB, but it doesn't. :( Any ideas?

BTW, it is the RAM that is stopping me, because the 1/5 divider kicks in, so the only thing I am suspecting is the RAM. Thanks for any replies... :)

Right now I have 3 sticks of Crucial PC2100 running at 166 MHz. I've had them up to 170, but that is when my system became unstable. When I recieve my new SK7 on Thursday I'll see if the instability was caused by my cpu getting too hot or my ram. My mobo is an Epox 8kha+ by the way.

You will probably need to increase the voltage by quite a bit to get that speed. Probalby want to run the RAM voltage at +.1 or +.2

i have a stick of crucial pc2100 that does 196mhz at 2.7v

try upping the voltage if you haven't already.

Third that increase the voltage.

Also relax your memory timings as much as possible. It could be the combo of aggressive memory timings and overspec FSB is causing problems.

You can use memtest86, prime95, or Sandra to test for stability.

I hit 166fsb easily, but with relaxed settings. Thats probably it right there, your timings are still aggresive. Put low settings and take the fsb up to 166, then turn on the settings 1 by 1 untill its unstable. Mix and match as well, I learned from trial and error that RAS to CAS delay is insignificant to performance and makes the ram go unstable so leave that at 3t off the bat.

When you say low settings, I am confused on that - lower numbers, or higher numbers (so should I go with 6... or 7?)

I can't believe this is such a PITA to get it to run at 166 FSB. :( Thanks.

Fast = low numbers
Slow = high numbers

And I use micron-chipped pc2100 and I have 4 or 5 sticks that will go above 166 (only 3 mobos that will though:() and mostly at the fastest timings: I crank the voltage to them though:)

All have been at 3v or more for those speeds with aggressive timings.

Memory is like cpus of course, and even the best stuff will have manufacturing tolerances that cause some to do better than others, but most micron chips like voltage a lot:D

Back