• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rubbing Alcohol flammable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hc000

i went to walmart today to buy some rubbing alcohol and they had 4+ different kinds i didn't know which one to buy. after i read the fine print on the 91% alcohol bottle it says

'CAUTION:Flammable, do not use in extreme heat or expose to fire.'

now, is all rubbing flammable? if i get the 91% one will it clean the grease off better? or it will start a fire ?

Hc000 said:
i went to walmart today to buy some rubbing alcohol and they had 4+ different kinds i didn't know which one to buy. after i read the fine print on the 91% alcohol bottle it says

'CAUTION:Flammable, do not use in extreme heat or expose to fire.'

now, is all rubbing flammable? if i get the 91% one will it clean the grease off better? or it will start a fire ?

Anything with a high percentage (say over 20%) is flamable to some extent, a 30% one will probably just light for a flash (assuming you dont set fire to the bottle) the higher the %age- the more potential for major damage, compare a strong beer to a shot of vodka for example.

In general the higher %age of alcohol with remove grease and evaporate quicker (so replace the lid IMMEDIATLY) but i WILL catch fire easier- but if you are careful and dont smoke/use power tool near it, you should be fine- Oh, and a gas mask will help too (I don't recomend sniffing the fumes :beer:) Jk

Alcohol is flammable of course - but it evaporates so quickly that it's not going to cause a problem.

Hc000 said:
what % do you guys use ?

For what? Cleaning a CPU? if so then:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

"Clean the mating surfaces completely with a low residual solvent (High-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone will work) and a LINT FREE cloth. (i.e. lens cleaning cloth) If another thermal compound has previously been applied to the heatsink, the mounting surface should be thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or 99% pure isopropyl alcohol."

Anything above 40% is flamable for practical purposes.
Do not use any mix above 70% alcohol... will dry out plastic/ rubber parts and may melt some plastics.

skatman said:
Do not use any mix above 70% alcohol... will dry out plastic/ rubber parts and may melt some plastics.

i've been using 91% for about 10 years. i never had anything melt. even the cheapest plastic i can find can handle 91% pretty well.

I believe 50 proof or 25% is the combustion point of liquids containing alcohol. I've used 91% and I've never had an issue with it b/c as stated earlier, it dries so quickly that it doesn't matter.

~THT

it is recommended that you use the highest % to clean a cpu, but I still use 71% because thats what I have around

skatman said:

Are you sure that was alcohol you were using? The only readily-available solvent I know of that will melt plastics is acetone.

I work in plastics for five years. We used alcohol to clean oil/grease from the products before packing, and we used a acetone for joining pastics! I only use 100% isopropyl alcohol, it evaporates before you can blink an eye and I have had no probs at all :)

Oh, a nice party trick!

Mix down some sort of alcohol to about... 30%? Add some water to get it about right. For normal denaturated (that red stuff) mix 50/50 with water. Then ask the audience for money, preferably a large bill (insert country's monetary type here).

Then soak it in this mixture and get something to hold it with. And light it!! The evaporating alchohol burns, but as it's a fairly weak mixture the flames doesn't evaporate all the water so the bill doesn't burn!

Neat?

PS! Test the mixture on normal paper first, just to make sure..

ya! when i unlocked my xp 2200+ i had to clean the thermal grease from the cpu so i used lighter fluid. it is a solvant and dries fast. messed up th first time on the unlock and used the lighter fluid again to clean the conductive pen off. as long as you let it dry (about 10 seconds) its no diferent then using alchohal. i beleave alchohal is even a bit more combustable than lighter fluid?

I believe 50 proof or 25% is the combustion point of liquids containing alcohol.

If that were true, then vodka (80 proof) would burn, which it doesn't. But B151 (151 proof) is great for making fireballs. :)

we used a acetone for joining pastics

Acetone only works for joinig acrylics. No effect of polyethyl and you have to use methylene chloride for polycarbonates. Dichloroethane is good too.

Back