• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathknight

Well I will be getting an nforce2 board soon and I currently have just 1 stick of memory. I will be buying a 2nd stick but I am wondering do I need to get both sticks the same speed?

I have 1 512mb stick of corsair xms pc3200 cas2. I was thinking about getting pc3500 for my other stick so that down the road if I needed more speed from my memory I would have to only replace my slower pc3200 memory.

Will this cause issues for me having 2 nonsimilar sticks of memory? Will getting a 2nd stick of pc3200 be sufficient?

I do realize that when I oc the slower of the 2 sticks of memory is going to be the first to cause me issues but will I experience problems beyond that? Typically I do not oc with more than 1 stick of ram.

I don't really understand the point of getting a 3500 stick when you plan on running it in tandem with a 3200 one. Other than that logical incongruity though, I see no reason why it should cause problems. You should still be able to run both sticks in dual channel. Of course, your highest clock speed will be dictated by the 3200 stick.

Well in the short term it obviously makes no sense but if I buy a 2nd pc3200 stick now and down the road I need more speed I will need to buy 2 sticks of faster memory instead of just one.

The PC3200C2 is really good ram though, outperforming the PC3500 on some boards. I think you might get a better overclock by keeping the sticks matched, although testing would be required to state this with all certainty. The price is a lot more reasonable on the 3200 at present, it would be my recomendation.

Back